starter relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter relay

I got a new relay from Lowes, it has one prong where the green/ yellow and Black/white wires would go. Should I solder both wires to it? If no, how to proceed, it was the only relay at my Lowes here locally.
    Cheers.

Lots of information missing from your post Lonny. Like what model and year is your GS, where are you located, and why are you shopping for bike parts at lowes...
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

It would be really helpful to know what you're trying to install the relay onto.... but I'll give it a shot.

Do not solder both wires to the same terminal! Looking at my wiring diagram, yellow/green is from the starter button and black/white is ground. This would create a short and hitting the starter button would blow a fuse (hopefully).

My guess is that it's designed to be grounded by the mounting bolt.

Comment

He is talking about a starter solenoid I would wager. It is a high current relay.
        There should be 2 large posts and 1 small terminal. One large post goes to the battery, one goes to the starter. It does not matter which. The small terminal goes to the starter switch. Those relays do not have a ground wire, the mounting bracket is the ground. So make sure the bolt that holds the relay to the frame is grounded and you are good to go.

Comment

Eric, you are correct as to the colors. B/W is always ground on GS bikes. Just let it hang or cut it off or run it to the mounting bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadstool Food View Post
            Lots of from your post Lonny. Like what model and year is your GS, where are you located, and why are you shopping for bike parts at lowes...
            I think you meant to say "Lots of information missing from your post Lonny." Well, there was stuff missing from your post, too.

Why is he shopping for bike parts at Lowe's? Becuase it is a very-often suggested place to shop for a starter solenoid.

For example: a solenoid for my '80 850G retails for $79.72, it is available from G&S Suzuki for $58.84.
            A very compatible solenoid is available from Lowe's for $15.72.
            That particular solenoid is not the one that Lonny got, as his has only one small terminal, this one has two.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
              Since we're missing info, he may as well be talking about some of the tractor solenoids which actually have 2 wires, one is for ground and is needed as the circuit is not grounded to the metal casing, but I've only seen these on really old relays, but who knows what Lowes stocks.
              Did you look at the link that Steve supplied from Lowe's?

They probably have more than that one available.
              I ride many bikes.
              Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

I guess some of us are just better at reading between the lines.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am baffled at all this quibling. My GPz replacement solenoid only has one terminal as well. The one Steve pointed at would not have worked anyway due to the GPz connector design. I ran a ground wire to the mounting bolt and all is good. What is the problem?

Comment

Stocker on the right, new on the left. It's from an 83 gs750E. Thank you all for the replies! I am burning breakfast and gotta get back to it. =)

Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Steve, looking at the link you graciously provided, that would appear lots more compatible. SOooo, maybe I need to go back to lowes or Home Depot, or ACE, or wherever and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonny View Post

Stocker on the left, new on the right. It's from an 83 gs750E. Thank you all for the replies! I am burning breakfast and gotta get back to it. =)

i think you got your lefty and righty around the wrong way lol
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ha, Agemax, you are correct sir, which is what I get for being rushed, typos and burntish bacon. It IS however still bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Well, there was stuff missing from your post, too.
                            thanks for the heads up Steve. It was late...

I take your point about the cost of a replacement. My unit is a $12 Ford solenoid i had laying around the shop. It never occurred to me to use a lawn tractor unit.

Toad

Comment

Ended up soldering the ground to the body of the relay. Works now anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X