lag in signal light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lag in signal light

hello, is it normal for the gs1000 to have a 1 to 2 second delay when turning on left or right blinker signal lights? it's not instantaneous like my other bikes. makes switching lanes a bit dodgy. once it's flashing it's fine, it's just on the initial selection

i tried swapping out the flasher relay with a used spare and it was the same.

thoughts?

Do the signals come on instantly, but take a few seconds to begin flashing?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It may seem like one or two seconds, but might not actually be qute that long. It's somewhat normal, it depends on the flasher that is installed.
      The stock flashers were somewhat instantaneous, some replacements act just like yours.

If having an "instantaneous" turn signal is impacting your lane-changing ability, I'd say you are not planning far enough ahead.
      Turn signals are not supposed to be used to say "hey, look at what I am doing", but rather "excuse me, I'd like to come over when possible. May I?"

Last edited by Steve; 09-09-2012, 12:58 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Do the signals come on instantly, but take a few seconds to begin flashing?
        that's exactly what i am saying. it's really annoying.

steve, it doesn't seem that long, it is at least that long. it's actually a bit hazardous. anyways, thanks for the motorcycle lane changing lesson.

Comment

Maybe you have dirty connections. With ignition on (but bike not running), does it take even longer for it to flash?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

no its the same, running or not.

do these relays work on thermal bimetalic strip principle?

Comment

Originally posted by paulkdx220 View Post
              no its the same, running or not.

do these relays work on thermal bimetalic strip principle?
              The old ones do, but you can get electronic flashers that work sorta independent of load.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Low voltage, like when charging system not working, can cause the flasher to flash slow. That I know.

You are asking about a longer than expected delay before they start to "work". Dont know, but maybe that is about same as flashing slow.

Check battery voltage with engine off. Then check battery voltage with engine running at mid RPM, say 3500 or 4000. Should be lot more that with engine off, like mid to upper 13s or right about 14 volts.

SLow flashers are often the first sign of charging system problems, then followed by starter turning slow, then followed by engine running poorly, then followed by engine stopping or by not being able to start. So check this before you find yourself on side of road.

Last edited by Redman; 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

my charging system is healthy, i have tested it. getting 14v.

the lag is when you first switch it on, there's a pause then it flashes at normal intervals.

could it be that the relay leads are reversed and the relay is starting in the "open" relay position? does that even make sense? maybe i'll experiment with that.

...or perhaps i'll try an electronic flasher relay.

Comment

Working...
                  X