minimalise my wiring harnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minimalise my wiring harnes

i have a 1981 gs450l. i am trying to find out what i can get rid of in my wiring harness while keeping my bike running. i plan on going to anew speedo and tach. i want to eliminate the gear indicator and high beam indicators along with the light cluster in between my gauges. I plan on keeping the turn signals, horn,kill swich and then the wiring for the charging system and ignition system. should i make a harness or just simply my existing one? how do i go about rmeoving what i don't want or need?

what ever you want to omit, just unplug the wires and tape them up
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

what about removing the unused wires and the gear shift indicator? just trace locate and remove the wires?

Comment

if you want, or just leave them taped up in case you decide to refit them again at a later date, maybe for selling the bike etc.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The gear position indicator is fed by a bundle of 6 or 7 wires that connect (with a white plastic plug under the tank) to a similar bundle coming from the engine case. You can just unplug it. In my bike (a 550), I think there is a separate bullet connector alongside that the plug is for the neutral indicator light.

You can also cut or unplug the wires to the instrument illumination lights and the dash warning lights.

Here are some simplified GS diagrams (with breaker point ignition):

First, with all the lights removed:

Then, with all the lights and the starter removed:

Then, just the ignition, no lights, starter or charging system:

Comment

a little help in color

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
            X