Right turn inop usually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right turn inop usually?

Hi, I have a 79' 850 in great shape but the right turn doesn't work 80% of the time? I even tried repeatedly and then it "usually works". The left works flawlessly and I have no other electrical issues what so ever...
    except the tach doesn't seem to respond much either? not even sure if thats electrical or mechanical though??
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM.

I'm thinking you're talking about your turn signals.
    Unfortunately you have one of the first generation turn signal control units (TSCU's). Those I have found to be very unreliable.
    I have one also that has the same problem with the left side. I fixed the problem by replacing the unit. Out of 20 I have gotten through various sources only one worked completely, and when I say completely I mean both sides flashed and it self cancelled.
    Those are still available new at Suzuki, but the price is $328 and change plus shipping. Item 26.

They do occaisionally show up on E-bay most likely listed as CDI's or Ignitors. Of course, few work from all the ones I got there.

Short of replacing it, you can modify the wiring.
    Perhaps someone will chime in here for that, should you decide to go that route.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

wow..not good parts are so freakin expensive too! maybe this winter I'll take it apart and see if I can fix it??

Comment

Are those self canceling? I didn't realize they were available in '79... you snobby 850 owners get all the neat doodads! My right turn signal has been intermittent before but it was due to corrosion at the signal contacts. If you have a switch that is corroded, electronics cleaner such as Radio Shack's 'tuner cleaner' often works and leaves behind a lubricating film.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
          wow..not good parts are so freakin expensive too! maybe this winter I'll take it apart and see if I can fix it??
          Good luck with that, those units do have a cover that will let you get to two coils and part of a printed circuit card. The rest is epoxy podded.
          I would, since your's is intermittant, clean all the connections for all the signal wiring, a high resistance contact may be the problem.
          If that doesn't work, it's time to replace the unit or modify the wiring.
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
            Are those self canceling? I didn't realize they were available in '79... you snobby 850 owners get all the neat doodads! My right turn signal has been intermittent before but it was due to corrosion at the signal contacts. If you have a switch that is corroded, electronics cleaner such as Radio Shack's 'tuner cleaner' often works and leaves behind a lubricating film.
            '79 GS850G's and '78 GS1000E's, '79 GS1000E/L's all had that first generation TSCU. The '80 year models produced a much more reliable TSCU.
            This be what the first generation TSCU culprit looked like.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

If you're good with wiring intuition, you can replace it with 1 or 2 modern flasher units instead. However you will lose the auto cancel function. If you use 1 flasher, you have to put it before the signal switch on the power lead to the switch. After is simpler, just put one on each wire that goes from the switch to the left and right.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Does your unit self cancel or do you have to manually stop it from flashing?
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

Hi and Thanks for all the good know-how! Yes mine has the self cancelling...in fact, it seems kinda crappy because the turn signal cancels to soon..I think! Hell, it easier to drive my truck while texting while drinking a coffee going driving thru a busy intersection with construction while it's raining outside then using these turn signals

P.S. so it may be that module that's bad? I didn't realize and assumed it was inside the switch on the handlebars...?
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

....P.S. so it may be that module that's bad? I didn't realize and assumed it was inside the switch on the handlebars...?
                    Could be module (that year known to be unreliable).
                    But problem could also be the swtich on handle bar.
                    Soome time when push switch and it doesnt go, try wiggling the swtich some more and see if that makes it go. If so then can suspect the swtich more. Maybe try some contact cleaner spray in there. IF take the handlebar unit apart, be ready to catch some parts falling out. If loose them or if cant get back together, or parts fall out because they were broke anyway, you will be looking for new handlebar swtich unit, which might fix your problem.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Hell, it easier to drive my truck while texting while drinking a coffee going driving thru a busy intersection with construction while it's raining outside then using these turn signals
                      I think it's even easier to do that than to say it.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Hi and Thanks for all the good know-how! Yes mine has the self cancelling...in fact, it seems kinda crappy because the turn signal cancels to soon..I think! Hell, it easier to drive my truck while texting while drinking a coffee going driving thru a busy intersection with construction while it's raining outside then using these turn signals

P.S. so it may be that module that's bad? I didn't realize and assumed it was inside the switch on the handlebars...?
                        I'd put my money on the module being bad, but go ahead you might get lucky and just find a dirty corroded loose high resistance connection somewhere's, or bad ground.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

I worked up a wiring configuration to replace my bad module and can help if you wish to do one for yourself. It was posted in another thread a week or two ago.

Mine uses the original switches which was necessary to retain collector status. It does not automatic cancel but I'm not feeling that I miss the feature. If that feeling develops a timer and trigger off the reed switch is possible.

My system uses two signal flashers and two relays, one flasher & relay for each side. The original switch is used to activate its relay which "latches" (stays on) until power is cut to the relay. A third relay (normally closed) is used to power the other two, allowing the handlebar cancel switch to open this relay which shuts off the flashing.

A diode was added to each side's relay in order to allow the signal relays to be interconnected so that each will cancel the other.

The system works exactly as does the original, excepting that it does not auto cancel.

When yours malfunctions to one side, try to get the bar switch apart and use a jumper to connect the center signal switch contact to each of the side ones to see if that makes it work. If it works when the switch is jumpered, you may have a dirty contact problem or the signal lever may be too sloppy. Mine would start working again by the time I got the bar switch apart to check, just to be really annoying, so it took some time before it could be caught in the act in order to eliminate the switch as a cuprit.

I used "Bed of Nails" jumpers to allow jumpering the direction wires at the module to eliminate the possiblity of a wiring issue but no joy so worked out the circuit.

As I said, willing to help by walking you through wiring up the system if that would help. You will need two normally open relays, plus one normally closed one. I recommend Bosch type relays as they are a standard item and so replacment is easy to find. One can buy off EBay or other sites complete with mounting socket which is better than using individual spade lug connectors. Two diodes capable of a couple of amps are the other items. That with some wire, and soldering.

Comment

I feel your pain. My 79 850 turning signals also have issues. My LEFT almost never comes on when I just pull the lever to the left... however if I push it RIGHT first to activate the right signal..then pull left it always comes on.... and self cancels after a while. The Right works flawlessly. So I just push Right then Left for a left turn.

Comment

I had a similar problem to that Twotime until I realized the screw holding down the lever worked itself loose. Might want to tear apart your left handle switch and look at it.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X