GS700E Regulator Questions/Wiring???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700E Regulator Questions/Wiring???

Guys...I am curious to know since all three of the wires emanating from my charging system (off the windings in the side case) are yellow...well..umm the wires pulle out of the three prong plug the runs to the regulator/rectifier...I just need a small primer on how they fit back into the plug....so far I have no idea why the system quit charging besides that.

Yew
    (remember, God has a plan, and yours aint always it.)

Ooooo now I get it...ok...three legs of the stator, one is shunted....ok so how do I test my regulator....sorry guys..just having moments of clarity...I'm a bit foggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yewtree View Post
      Ooooo now I get it...ok...three legs of the stator, one is shunted....ok so how do I test my regulator....sorry guys..just having moments of clarity...I'm a bit foggy.
      Not certain what you mean by "one leg of stator" is shunted.
      THe R/R does some things that can be described as shunting .. . . . .
      Or maybe you are talking about one leg of stator is still wired up to non-exixtent headligh swtich and then back down to R/R. Would b e best to not do that. WIre all three stator leads to R/R leads.

Anyway; some comments about your Stator.

- 3 yellow wires means is an aftermarket replacement stator, which is okay, no problem.

- each of the 3 wires is intterchangeable, any of the thre can go in any of the places any are suppose to go.

- disconnected, and engine at 4000 rpm should measure about 60 - 70 vac between any two of the three. If by "shunted" you ment got voltage on these two and that two but not 3rd two... that is not good.

- disconnected. Bike off. Should measure just just a couple ohms between any tow.

- disconnected. Bike off. Should measure infinate ohms between each and every wire and case ground. If by "shunted" you meant one has continutity to ground ... that aint good.

Comments on testing R/R:

- Suzuki manual from the day shows testing R/R with ohm meter.

- More recent Stator Papers and other more recent write up will have you test R/R with diode test feature of multimeter.

What sort of meter you have? Have diode test feature?

Find Stator Papers back on GSR main page In Garage (or on Bass Cliff site).

Tell us more about your stator testing.
      Then we can go on to R/R testing.
      Or find stator papers and you can proceed on your own a lot faster.

Last edited by Redman; 10-02-2012, 04:35 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Start here: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

I know it's a bit of RTF but this will get you started. It has nice step by step testing instructions. If you go through those steps and post your results as you go we'll be better able to offer advice.

I just went through all this myself recently and it does pay to read the Stator Papers first...a couple times. When you are done with this project you'll feel much more confident.

Oh and I was told to do all this when I first asked too, so welcome to the fraternity of GS charging issues. You'll receive your paddle after you complete your project successfully.

Comment

I got IT!

Ok so the ground wire from the RR was haphazardly soldered to the frame...it was work hardened and down to one strand. Repaired, and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Yewtree View Post
            Ok so the ground wire from the RR was haphazardly soldered to the frame...it was work hardened and down to one strand. Repaired, and running.
            Good.
            Great that you found it.

Something else you should know:\
            R/R ground wire usally has a ring terminal and is connected to where the starter solenoid is bolted to battery box. And there needs to be a "ground wire" there also because the battery box may not be grounded to the frame otherwise. And this ground wire is from the wiring harness but is subject to some problems, so folks often add thier own ground wire from there to battery negitive (or frame somewhere). Battery box needs to be well grounded for not only the R/R but also so the starter solenoid is grounded.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X