Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Wouldn't Crank the bike this morning... Quick Charging Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know how it turns out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

check the system completely you my get lucky and just need a battery or a regulator. I does sound like you are not charging at all though. Go through the stator pages and diagnose from there. It would be a shame to spend the money on a new stator to find out you have a bad battery or regulator. Although I have known people to have a problem and just replace everything.and never realy know what was wrong.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Darin, I have about the same commute you have (30 miles roundtrip) and would hook up a float charger every night just because I thought that was standard procedure. (I do it even now because I think it makes the battery last longer, say 4-5 years). The bike and original battery ran fine for a year, until I took a long trip and ended up having to push-start the bike every morning. It turned out the Prior Owner had messed with the wiring so only two of the three yellow wires from the stator were connected. I had enough juice to light the plugs and run the headlight, but that's all. Did an 1,800 mile trip like this, and then hooked up the third yellow wire when I finally figured it out back home.

Buying a float charger is a good idea, because it tops up your battery every night while you're commuting. But it could mask a greater problem that you need to fix if you go on a long trip. On the plus side, if you get a float charger, you buy yourself more time to fix the problem while you figure out what the problem is. At least you can get to work and back, assuming your battery charges overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          check the system completely you my get lucky and just need a battery or a regulator. I does sound like you are not charging at all though. Go through the stator pages and diagnose from there. It would be a shame to spend the money on a new stator to find out you have a bad battery or regulator. Although I have known people to have a problem and just replace everything.and never realy know what was wrong.
          I didn't have a chance to run through the diagnostics this weekend, but I did put the battery on a charger for about 6-hours @2.0A... Was at 9.7V but charged up to 12.76. I let it sit all day Saturday and then put it on the charger @1A to verify that it was fully charged and the charger kicked off within 5-minutes. Battery voltage was again around 12.76...

With that charged, I'll go through the tests this week and see what the rest of the system is doing.

Should I need a Stator and R/R... It appears that the Rick's Stators are pretty well regarded. Any other recommendations for a replacement Stator and R/R??

Comment

Working...
          X