Previous Owner installed unknown CDI box, now it's blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous Owner installed unknown CDI box, now it's blown

Does anyone know what this CDI box is out of? Because it's definitely not from a '78 750. I think I remember something about it being from an '82 850 but not positive. Either way it's blown and needs to be replaced...

Well, we are going to have to assume that there are many more modifications to the bike than this, because the first thing is, ... there is no "CDI box" on any GS.

The item shown is called an "ignitor", which is also an unfortunate choice of names, because it does not "ignite" anything.

Add that to the fact that the ignitor was only used on bikes with electronic ignition and the fact that your bike came with points.

Are there pulse generators installed in place of the points?

You should also know that, for about the price of a replacement ignitor, you can get a new Dyna S electronic ignition system that will give you an all-NEW system.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well 32900 is the refix for just about any igniter Suzuki ever made.
      No chance of reading those other numbers is there?

Maybe best just to go with an aftermarket item such as cold by Dyna.

Comment

It does look very similar (maybe a tad smaller? could be the pic) to the one that used to be on my 1100. When I started to have intermittent ignition problems I switched to a Dyna-S with green coils and new wires. One less thing to worry about!

Comment

The good news, there's tons of these things on E-bay.
          The bad news, they're not cheap.
          After looking at about 30 of them, I do believe the numbers are
          32900-45110 and 131100-1901.
          And even though you can't read the numbers on this one, it's probably the cheapest, and you can make an offer.
          If you want to sort through the mess of them, go to E-bay motors put in GS750 then ignitor, or GS850, GS1000, GS1100, and you can put in CDI also. With all those variants you should be able to see most all of them if you want to shop them.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

A Dyna S is probably the best answer. However, the fact that this is a points-model 750 and you don't actually have the points causes one small complication. The early 750s and 550s only could have either Kokusan or Nippon Denso ignition parts, and they take different Dyna S models (DS3-1 for Kokusan or DS3-2 for ND). Normally one would look at the condensers to see what the factory ignition was, but those seem to be long-gone.

If you think that your current system is from an 82 750, then I'd say that the DS3-2 is the more likely bet. One member once commented that they got the wrong one, called Dyna, and they sent him a new rotor (I guess that's the only part that's different between the two kits?).

Anyone know another way to tell?

Comment

Here is a picture from the parts side for a 32900-45110 which is off a GS1000G 1980:

That one is quite repairable!

Comment

Working...
              X