please help me, power drain???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help me, power drain???!!!

Im at my whits end, i've been fixing my dads 1977 gs750 and i have completely rewired the bike front to back, put in a new "electrosport" stator and R/R, new battery. It has hyundai coils and i have a power drain going on that i cant figure out. After many, many hours testing and fault finding i have isolated the coils completly by running a wire directly from the + Terminal on the battery to each coil and then a wire from each coil ( on the other coil terminal) directly to the points. When i hook up the battery to the coil, using a multimeter i can see the voltage drops at an unbelievable rate and continue's to drop till the battery is dead!!!! IS THIS NORMAL???

With one set of points closed, juice will flow thru its connected coil - this is normal- a stock coil takes about 3 to 4 amps. Hyundai coils??- what is primary resistance ? maybe they are too hungry.
    If coils aren't connected, do you still have a "unbelievable" drain?

Welcome to forum- it's full of misfits from whit's end!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

After many, many hours testing and fault finding i have isolated the coils completly by running a wire directly from the + Terminal on the battery to each coil and then a wire from each coil ( on the other coil terminal) directly to the points. When i hook up the battery to the coil, using a multimeter i can see the voltage drops at an unbelievable rate and continue's to drop till the battery is dead!!!! IS THIS NORMAL???

Wiring directly to the battery with out a switch is definitely going to drain the battery. And actually how do you plan on shutting the motor down wired that way?Your best bet is to start over and get the wiring Diagram off cliffs site, here on GSR, Wiring the way you have stated that you have it is not going to work. Also you should go to into the general forumand introduce yourself ,find the new member please read and get your welcome from Basscliff, enough information in that to keep you busy for a week or two.
      Last edited by hjfisk; 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i only wired it that way to test the coil, i had no intention of ;leaving it that way!!!!

Comment

need more info about your drain.

coils use a lot of energy.
          total draw on most motorcycles just turning on the key is about 10 negative amps. 6~8 for ignition and 2~4 for the head/tail light. That amp draw will take 2 maybe 3 volts off of a strong good battery. if you have a battery that will not hold a load -

meaning with a good battery turn everything on you would be starting with 13.2 and it will level off low 12 maybe a high 11.9. for over a minute or two

bad battery would drop like a stone into the 10's or 9's within seconds.

my question - is there a power drain with the key off? look at how you are controlling the positive side of your circuits.

hyundai coils should work (in theory) as long as you remember to restrict battery voltage to 9DCV going to the points or you will burn and pit the contacts very quickly. battery points ignition work fantastic if you know the proper way to hook them up and keep them tuned and healthy.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Disconnect the +12v lead. Put your meter on the 10a setting & connect one probe to battery & one to the removed lead.

You should now see if there is any battery drain (ignition off).

Now start pulling fuses. When the drain goes away (meter drops to zero) you have found the offending circuit.

Now get tracing... do you have a short in that part of the loom, cut wires, aftermarket additions etc.

Post up what circuit & some pics & someone here can probably make a good guess at what is causing it.

The last guy who I advised of this method found it was a long defunct (& hidden) GPS charger causing the drain....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X