Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 Coil power issue?

guess i should post this here:
    has coil 1/4 and coil 2/3 well this is strange to me the 1/4 has no spark but 2/3 does, now you can take the power from 2/3 and connect it to 1/4 and the coil works, and the 1/4 wires coming from harness do have power and pulse ground working by test light but if i connect 1/4 harness wires to 2/3 it doesnt spark either, stumped any help would be much appreciated thanks

16V or 8V motor? this is important for the 16V have tendency to loose their electrical ignition systems, and unlike most GS models the 16V 550 has an electrical advance and no other bike share the ignitions. So its hard to find parts and when you do find them expect to pay an arm and a leg for a 30 year old might work might not work part...
    If it's an 8V with a mechanical ignition advancer I would strongly recommend swapping to a Dyna-S Dynatek unit. Eliminates the 30 year old components with state of the art components that are brand new, plus you can advance or retard your ignition your self. However this is only available for the 8V 550 models with a mechanical ignition advance... I know they did away with the mechanical advance in the 550 late 81 to early 82... Not sure if they put Electrical advances in the 8V...
    I've had 2 550's and loved them! Both were 8V and both had intermittent ignition issues, swapped to a Dyna-S and the bikes screamed into redline! Fun bikes to just get after!
    Good luck!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hi,

Look in the electrical section of my little website. You'll find testing procedures for the igniter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

didnt see a test for the ignitor on the site, too late took my largest sledge to the ignitor about 20 mins ago, its no more. i had took a jumper wire straight from it to the coil and got nothin still but there was some output on the white wire that goes to the 1/4 coil but when jumped straight to it still nothing, but the black/white wire that goes to the 2/3 coil seems to have been working fine i ran it straight to both one at a time and fired both coils when jumped, and the orange/white wire seemed to have been working properly i ran it to either or to make sure both sides were working, so my problem is i believe something to do with the ignitor.....so my new dilemma is that this bike is an 82 gs550L and it does have the mechanical advance setup, but every place selling a dyna s ignition says either or some say it works on it and some say it doesnt, and i went to a local bike shop today and asked them what interchanges for the ignitor unit and they were saying only certain model gs 550 and 650 bikes from 81-83 i believe, so i do not want to buy something so costly not knowing for sure if its going to not only work for my bike but as well as make this thing run finally....

Comment

I was looking at the DS3-2 to be specific am I to understand the correct that it goes in place of the pick up and it will replace the pickup and ignitor?

should this be all i need for my 82 gs550l?

Comment

I looked at this Z1 link

I don't see any difference with the 81 vs the 82 model stock ignition system- unless there is an interference problem. Wait till someone knowledgeable chimes in- lots of members use these.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

called this place in cali called worldatv and they specialize in dyna ignition systems i guess, and the guy had me measure my pick up plate and its 3 5/8" wide so the ds3-2 is a direct bolt on replacement and does away with the ignitor and pickups and it connects directly to the coils bypassing everything and it gains like 6hp it states, he also mentioned that the only difference between a ds3-1 and a ds3-2 is the rotor, because he only had a ds3-1 in stock he called dyna and they stated this and he is sending me a ds3-1 for $117 and free shipping, and dyna is sending me the rotor for a ds3-2 for free so i can make it work, its sent out today so we will see when it all arrives....

Comment

Working...
              X