Replacement Ignition for any GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Ignition for any GS

I may have stumbled upon a solution for a TCI/Ignitor replacement for any GS, although the points type may need pickups fitted.

Basically these guys in the Czech Republic have a plug and play type that they will program for just about any carburetor bike. They also sell pickups, CDI's and EFI's for bikes.
    I have just received two of their Sparker TCIP4 v88 units. This one is fully programmable and they provided it pre-programed for a Virago XV1100.

The software to change the setting for any other bike is included. Want to remove your mechanical advance and fit a TPS or a vacuum sensor it can do it!

Here is what arrived:

And the grand total is?
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Somewhat reasonable depending on shipping I taxes by the looks of it...

Go to products/TCIP4 & then price list...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

They have a complete price list on their site and the standard non programmable one is about $78 without shipping. The programmable one is about $141 -150. They only ship via DHL.

This also includes all the software, which you can download from their site and run without "installing" it as its a self contained exe. It shows all the features. The downloadable manuals are also available on their site.

They also make up an adapter cable for your bike which is included in the price.

The warranty is 24 months!

In total the TCIP4 V88, which is their newest programmable, one cost me $233 which includes our VAT and custom charges as well as the DHL shipping and charges. It also included a serial to USB cable which may already have.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
          Are you putting one on the 1000? please report back afterwards
          The second one is for myself and I intend trying it on the 1000 for sure, but most likely only some time next year.

Its seems that one can retain the mechanical advance or remove it and have the TCI do it electronically. This opens some new avenues for the fully programmable advance maps!

The built in features are quite comprehensive.

Comment

Very interesting Andre, keen to see how it goes!

I couldn't see an application list of adapters on their site though...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Basically the same as a programmable Dyna 2000 with a few more options and more ability to customise...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Very interesting Andre, keen to see how it goes!

I couldn't see an application list of adapters on their site though...
                Pete,
                These will for sure work on the twins with their type of pickups.
                They make up the adapter cable with your order to match the bike. Then they include the spare pins for the 20 pin connecter so you can add more features. When you order they want things like wiring diagram, picture of the connectors and any specs you have.

The feature I really like is the setting to set the amount of revolutions before fist spark. This eliminates that backfire at start with the heavy clunk on the starter clutch.

I played a bit with it this afternoon and it shows you exactly which advance curve is being used at which RPM's when running. It even gives the battery voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Basically the same as a programmable Dyna 2000 with a few more options and more ability to customise...
                  How does this compare price wise wise?

Yes, the customising abilities are quite good, but me being a mere novice in the tuning area some of the settings are meaningless to me. They have quite a substantial range for manually setting up the pickups (for experienced people only) and fortunately an Auto setup for people like me!

There is one small drawback though, the unit itself has no fastening lugs. It needs some kind of bracket to mount it.

Comment

This gets more interesting Andre... very interesting indeed! I guess once they have the first model specific setup it will be very easy to reproduce it, and they can build a database of results etc. too.

Brackets are very easy to fabricate, and it's probably better for them not to put mounting points to make it more versatile.

I notice in your pic you show two modules... do you get two with the kit or did you buy two?

There's another guy on here having 450 ignition troubles and can't justify the cost of a Dynatek like mine... might point him in this direction I think...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      This gets more interesting Andre... very interesting indeed! I guess once they have the first model specific setup it will be very easy to reproduce it, and they can build a database of results etc. too.

Brackets are very easy to fabricate, and it's probably better for them not to put mounting points to make it more versatile.

I notice in your pic you show two modules... do you get two with the kit or did you buy two?

There's another guy on here having 450 ignition troubles and can't justify the cost of a Dynatek like mine... might point him in this direction I think...
                      Pete,
                      These guys have been around for quite a few years and if you Google Ignitech you will find quite a few forums, even for some group buys, with some good threads. There are some good stuff in the Triumph, Ducati, Vmax, and TZR forums.

I bought two as this entitled me an instant discount and savings on shipping. I am sure someone in my area will need one soon

How does the cost in total (inclusive of shipping and import duties) compare to the Dynatek?

Comment

Excellent! Good reviews is always a good thing!

In comparison, the DS3-3C kit including coils (but no leads) is $US309.99 on their website. I'm embarrassed to tell you how expensive that is over here but it exceeds the $400 mark...

Mind you, after the excellent customer service I got I still don't regret getting the Dynatek...

It's very good to know what alternatives are out there though!

And seeing as the project after the little Duc will likely be a '76 Yammie YB100 with points, it might be worth looking into for that as well...

sigpic

Comment

Update:

I have not yet tried the Ignitech Sparker TCIP4 on my GS1000, but did try it on a GS550 1980-81 with the 70 ohm pick-ups and mechanical advance. I could not get it to work.

I contacted Ignitech and they said it is not compatible with the 70 ohm pickups, but they proposed two solutions:

1)To replace the pickups, for which they do have various types and trigger plates available.
                          2)To order an Ignitech standard TCI from them that they will build/adapt specifically to use the 70 ohm pick-ups, at the same cost as their standard unit.

I would still like to try it on a later GS550 (1985) which has the 250 ohm pick-ups with poles facing out, uses a rotor plate and electronic advance.

The Dyna-s still seems to be the best option to replace the points or the 1980-81 mechanical advance ignitions for the GS550, 450, 250.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

At the moment I just have too many things going on, but testing the TCIP4 on the GS1000G 1980 is still on my to do list:

I have a MAP sensor on order and intend doing some tests using this to control the advance curve according to the load and obviously then using the electronic advance built into the TCI. I am also keeping an eye open for a TPS that would not be too hard to attach to the carbs.

Theoretically it should be possible to use a more efficient advance curve than the mechanical type and hopefully get better performance and economy as well! The jury is still out on this side as to what is best TPS or MAP...

Comment

Probably a combination of both Andre... but that would get real complicated real fast!

I'd love a TPS on my carbs too actually so that when I do finally get down that wideband path I have something to work with when data logging the O2 readings.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X