No Spark? 1982 gs450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark? 1982 gs450L

I have a 1983 Suzuki GS450L. I replaced two gaskets. The gasket to the stator cover and the rubber seal around the oil filter cover and the oil filter and oil when there.. My oil leaked out of the oil filter cover gasket cause the studs were losse. spotted it at the bus station before ridding it. luckey it was sitting all day.

Ok, Changed all that then I started the bike and ran it to warmed it up and bake the gaskets on. ran and ilded for a bit (to operation temps.) then turned her off. Then i started the bike again and let her warm up. After an hour I went back outside and tryed to start her and she wouldn't start. I smelled gas.

So I pulled a pulg and checked for spark. no spark. i took the tank off and checked the coil packs. the primarey coils are reading 3.5 ohms on both coils. but the secondary coils are not reading any ohms. they should read 23-25 k0hms. i belive. I am testing between the white or black and yellow wire on the coil to the spark plug cap wire? Is that correct for the secondary coil test or did i do that wrong? and thats why i didnt get a reading?
    Thanks.

I want to do the ingnitior test. But it was saying to do that test when the ignition key is turned on. And when measuring for ohms i was taught not to test for ohms on a live circuit. So I am still reading about doing this test. any help on that test would be appreciated.

I installed a ricks power sports R/R and stator in 2009. In time do you think the more power from the stator killed the ignitor????

I tested the coils again and got 22 kohms on one coil on the secondary coil and the coil that the spark plug wire would arc off the motor instead of the spark plug gave a reading of 64 kohms. So the coils are there. Just one has higher resistance. I fixed the sparking off the motor by putting a cover on the wire.
    so i think thats good?

I also tested the signal generator to it read 60 ohms and 122 ohms acrossed the two 60 ohms, i guess?
    So i think thats good.

Then I did the test to try and make the spark plugs fire out of the cylinder. put the battery in then, turned the key and run switch on then, turned the meter to 200 ohms, then tested the - neg probe to the black/white wire and the + positive probe to the green/white wire that goes to the signal generator. also tested the brown wire moving the + probe there and there was no spark at the plug. in either cylinder.
    Did i test rite or was the meter set wrong for the test?
    So I think it is the ignition unit itself?
    Edit/Delete Message

Tak said....."and she wouldn't start. I smelled gas."

Leaking petcock, or petcock left on Prime spot?
    Any sign/smell of gas in crankcase oil, or maybe oil level seemed high ?
    No spark at plug? check for 12 volts positive at orange/white coil wire when key and kill switch are on. Unlikely to be bad coil, more likely bad connections or failed ignitor.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Tak said....."and she wouldn't start. I smelled gas."

Leaking petcock, or petcock left on Prime spot?
      Any sign/smell of gas in crankcase oil, or maybe oil level seemed high ?
      No spark at plug? check for 12 volts positive at orange/white coil wire when key and kill switch are on. Unlikely to be bad coil, more likely bad connections or failed ignitor.

I did run the bike with high oil at the start then I dropped the oil to the full line on the dip stick the second run. i did that cause I changed the oil filter and that chamber was empty, I figured. Then I ran the bike again. then went away for an hour. then it wouldn't start. I think I flooded the bike cause the choke was on with no spark. Thats why i smelled gas. I hope
      Thanks for letting me know another test I can do any other tests for the ingnitor? Plan on doing that. and the other things you said.
      Also what would be the cheapest ignitor i could buy?
      Thanks for the response.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Make sure you get oil level correct. The smelling gas would encourage me to check for correct petcock operation- make sure gas is not leaking down the petcock vacuum line to carb.
        Check that ignition coils and ignitor have 12 volt positive at orange/white wire (red probe on o/w wire, black on ground ground) when key and run switch are on.
        Did you remove a spark plug and hold against engine to see if it sparks ? I'm not sure about ignitor testing this model so wait for others to chime in; But be careful with meter set to ohms and probes on ignitor terminals- the meter battery might damage something.
        Your charging system output needs checking regularly to make sure it's neither undercharging nor overcharging (which could damage the ignitor.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did pull a plug and test for spark by trying to start the bike with the plug out and against the motor. no spark. I think I was flooding the bike and that's why I smelled gas. It flood cause of no spark.
          The upgraded stator the, ricks motorsports one is in the bike. installed in 2009. the three wires to the stator and the wiring harness were burn at the connections. So i re wired it. So I have to test the stator now. and do the test you mentioned to the ignitor. Sorry away from the bike.

Comment

Working...
          X