shindegen r/r problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shindegen r/r problems

i put a shindegen r/r that another member sent me..

the green sense wire only works when grounded...with a short rev(4k maybe) it goes to 16 v easily..and 13-14 at idle..

if the sense is connected to 12v it blows the fuse

the red is right to the batt

what am i doing wrong

Hi,

The standard Honda Shindengen unit has six wires. The green is the ground. The black is the "sense" wire. See the diagram in the electrical section of my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

The standard Honda Shindengen unit has six wires. The green is the ground. The black is the "sense" wire. See the diagram in the electrical section of my little website.

BassCliff

well i tired to check out the r/r pdf...but it says 404 not found...

the r/r was labed as black-ground and green-sense

thanks for your help cliff...ill go swap some wire an post results later

Comment

It was labeled wrong -- green is ground, like house wiring. Black is the sense wire.

Make sure you hook the sense wire to a good switched positive. If you just leave it hooked up to the battery, it will slowly drain your battery. You can hook it up directly to the battery temporarily for testing, of course.

Bear in mind that if there's a voltage drop at the sense wire, the R/R will overcharge. Use a volt meter to find a good place to hook this up -- you may need to clean up the switch contacts in your ignition switch and various connectors along the way. If you've added a relay to power the coils, you can use that for the sense wire.

These R/Rs are pretty tough -- hooking them up wrong usually doesn't fry the regulator.
        Last edited by bwringer; 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          well i tired to check out the r/r pdf...but it says 404 not found...
          I've had to fix a few busted links on my little website recently. I think my ISP is trying to tell me something, like buy an upgrade package. I'll fix that link ASAP. If you notice anything else please let me know.

Cliff

Comment

On the 6 wire Shindengen ones I've installed in the past it didn't matter whether the sense wire was hooked up or not so you might just be able to leave it off....

Not sure if they were the exact model you have there though

On the ones I had it was the middle connector in the right hand block (with the three on the left being the stator connectors) viewed from the top.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

well i swapped wires and guess what...low 13 v at idle...and around 14.5-14.8 at a rev...

thanks for the help

now my oil pan gasket leaks...hoo-rah

and cliff the clutch odd ends dont work either

Comment

Working...
              X