Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I know this has been covered but my search skills suck so lookin for direction. My 82 850G is mechanically tip top and now I'm just trying to improve function with out changing the stock nature of the bike. I have the sealed beam 7" headlight and I'm looking for a better beam, any suggestions . Also this winter I will be painting the tank, tail piece and side covers back to stock. I have not been able to find the stripe decals anywhere for this year and model, any ideas?

Thanks
    "G" forever

You can get a headlamp that takes an H4 bulb. Then drop in a Silverstar bulb and ride happy.

Third item down on this page:
    Custom and OE Style Head Lights and mounts and Bulbs in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

The other thing to do is to make sure your headlamp connector is good and tight (if it's burned, replaced with a high-temp version from any auto parts store) and make sure you're getting full voltage at the headlight. Many bikes, even new ones, have a significant voltage drop from the switch contacts and the various connectors on the way to the headlight. You can clean connectors or install relays to supply full voltage to the high and low beams.

Eastern Beaver sells excellent relay kits:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

[QUOTE=bwringer;1770411]You can get a headlamp that takes an H4 bulb. Then drop in a Silverstar bulb and ride happy.

Custom and OE Style Head Lights and mounts and Bulbs in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

That's the stuff I needed, all connectors cleaned and checked, will need to check voltage at the bulb.

Thanks Bwringer,

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        You can get a headlamp that takes an H4 bulb. Then drop in a Silverstar bulb and ride happy.

The other thing to do is to make sure your headlamp connector is good and tight (if it's burned, replaced with a high-temp version from any auto parts store) and make sure you're getting full voltage at the headlight. Many bikes, even new ones, have a significant voltage drop from the switch contacts and the various connectors on the way to the headlight. You can clean connectors or install relays to supply full voltage to the high and low beams.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...s/h4_kits.html

Skip the Silverstar, and get a Philips +80 bulb. The Silverstar Ultras are better, but the blue tint to the bulb on the regular and Ultra bulbs actually costs you some lumens, and the 5000k+ white coloration is more harsh to your own eyes, not to mention oncoming drivers. The harsher color will cause your pupils to close more than using a standard 4000k color light (like the +80). The +80 is a standard draw 55/60 bulb, but it's got a better filament design, and really do put out a lot more light, even over the Silverstars. Don't confuse color temperature for useable light, especially on a motorcycle.

You also have to be careful with your wattage at the bulb. These bikes use a lower powered headlight than the typical 55/60 watt automotive H4. The bulb will pull more current, and as such, your headlight harness will run hotter. It might not be enough of a draw to melt the wires, but it can happen, especially on older wiring. This is where a relay will be a good idea. Use the stock wiring to trigger the relay, and use a heavier gauge wire to power the light.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Many bikes, even new ones, have a significant voltage drop from the switch contacts and the various connectors on the way to the headlight. You can clean connectors or install relays to supply full voltage to the high and low beams.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...s/h4_kits.html
          You'd really have to see the difference this makes to believe it. (Or, more accurately, you'd have to ride with it at night).

My GS1000's headlight was so anemic -- even after installing a new H4 -- that it would stay home at night in favor of another bike. The relay approach solved this completely, and took a lot of the load off of the aging wiring harness at the same time. Eastern Beaver makes an excellent product, very high quality, and very effective.

For night riding, antiques like me can use all the vision help available!
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks, will go with the relay and heavier wiring.

Thanks to you all...

Comment

Check your voltage first. It may not do you any good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Also, when you install your H4 that you make sure that you use dielectric grease on the prongs.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Your '82 should already have a light that uses an H4 bulb, not a sealed beam light.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Your '82 should already have a light that uses an H4 bulb, not a sealed beam light.

Steve is correct. If the bike has a sealed beam someone replaced the stock lamp with H4 bulb.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

oww...my eyes
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

HID "conversions" are not really the way to go, unless you do the COMPLETE assembly, not just the "bulb".

However, if you do go to an HID setup, stick with the lower-numbered "temperature rating" bulbs, around the 4000 or 4100K range.
                          They brag about how the higher-numbered bulbs are "closer to daylight", but fail to mention that daylight is NOT the perfect light.

Look at it this way: if daylight were so 'perfect', why do "Blue-Blocker" type glasses work so well?
                          They work by blocking ultra-violet (UV) light, which causes glare inside the eyeball.
                          Those HID kits with the higher numbers attached to them, especially the ones over 6000K, put out a LOT of UV,
                          which looks brighter, but you can't actually see any better.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Steve is correct. If the bike has a sealed beam someone replaced the stock lamp with H4 bulb.
                            That's what I figure happened when he mentioned the sealed beam -- it was pretty common in 70s/80s bikes to find that someone had dropped in a sealed beam from a car instead of scaring up an H4 bulb.

Nowadays, there aren't any cars with big round headlights and so the H4/9003 is a lot more common.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Understand, mine was in a front ender before I bought it. Inst. cluster, headlight had been replaced by the PO. I'm still looking for the correct tank, currently it has one from an 81 model. I will be checking voltage at the light and ordering a new reflector to handle an H4 bulb this weekend.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Working...
                              X