Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High beam doesn't work at all

Hello,
    On my 80 GS250T, the low beam light works fine. When I flip the switch to high beam, the blue light comes on the dash but the headlight goes completely out. No light at all. Every other light works fine, just no high beam. Any ideas what it could be?
    There's a switch on the left switch control pod that says "lights" and has an off and on position but I can't get the switch to move at all. I think it's stuck at off but I'm not sure. Could this be my issue?
    Thanks for any 2 cents.

I'm going to start at the simple end of the scale. Have you checked your bulb?
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

I'm going with a bad bulb
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I'm going to be different and suggest that you might have a bad bulb.

By the way, it is 'normal' for that switch to not move. It is blocked by a mechanism inside the switch housing.
        The Feds required that the headlight be ON for any bike manufactured after January 1, 1979.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I checked the bulb but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I couldn't tell that any filaments were broken but I guess the high beam one probably is. It looks like I have to buy a sealed beam assembly and they aren't cheap. But if that's the problem, I'd be happy.

Comment

Find yourself a different lamp and get away from that sealed beam stuff. Using the advanced search feature by typing in sealed beam and selecting titles only, I found these threads that can help you through this:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Find yourself a different lamp and get away from that sealed beam stuff. Using the advanced search feature by typing in sealed beam and selecting titles only, I found these threads that can help you through this:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...archid=3067380
              Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to go this route now. I feel like a silverstar bulb will do wonders on these bikes.

Originally posted by old_skool
              just jumper the the bulb to see if it works, simple enough, one ground and one high and one low spade.
              Good idea, I will try that. I haven't removed the bulb yet so I didn't do any testing besides the switch.

Comment

The fact that the blue indicator light comes on tell us that the hi-low switch is working.

So, I too would say the bulb itself is a good suspect.

Can try another bulb ..... ... or better yet, check things with a meter to verify that are getting power to the high beam.
                You have a multimeter? If not, then can use this as an excuse to get one. Are going to need one at times, you have a 30 year old Suzuki GS.

Here is what else you will need to know:
                Yellow wire is for Hi beam.
                White wire is for Low beam
                Black/WHite is ground.

Last edited by Redman; 11-24-2012, 11:26 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Find yourself a different lamp and get away from that sealed beam stuff.
                  Good idea, but you need to keep in mind that most lights that will get you away from a sealed beam are also going to require different mounting arms for the headlight.

If you look for headlights from "L" models after '80 or '81, they will be the same size as your current light, and have an H4 bulb, which will be far better than your sealed beam.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good news! I don't need a new headlight. The PO replaced the sealed beam, but plugged it in wrong. I plugged it in so all 3 pins are connected (2 before) and now it works perfectly. Now on to the next repair.

Comment

Originally posted by isu2014 View Post
                      ............ I plugged it in so all 3 pins are connected (2 before) and now it works perfectly. ........
                      And in the mean time you have learned a thing or two. Good.

What can we help you with next? Post in appropiate tech section for best repsonces.

SO you got bye this time. At some point you are going to want to have a volt meter (multi meter).

Dave.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yeah I learned that I should investigate the issue more before I go to the internet where no one else can take apart the bike for me. I have a voltmeter for proper diagnosis, but the electrical system is actually 100% on this bike now. I'm glad because electrical issues frustrate me. I dropped electrical engineering for a reason!

Anyway, next is a carb cleaning, megaphones, new seat cover, possible engine teardown over winter months, and other small odds and ends. I have a manual and time so I will probably figure everything out alright. Getting the airbox out of the frame is annoying though.

Comment

Working...
                        X