No announcement yet.

18V Lipo Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the stock GS electrical system be called a trickle charger?

I don't think so.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

It's not big enough to power your bike . Never mind the electric starter

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        Would the stock GS electrical system be called a trickle charger?

I don't think so.
        Electrical output for most GS models is around 25 amps. That is definitely not a trickle charge. Well, if you have a 250 amp battery in your GS, it would be, but............
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          Electrical output for most GS models is around 25 amps. That is definitely not a trickle charge. Well, if you have a 250 amp battery in your GS, it would be, but............
          And just running the bike takes about 15 of those, but you also have to consider that those 25 amps are only available at higher RPM.

At lower speeds, the output is noticeably less.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

everyone seems to have some pretty valid points, I am pretty frustrated as I was under the impression that this pack is the same as the light weight lipo cells sold at the dealer only without the plastic case.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              And just running the bike takes about 15 of those, but you also have to consider that those 25 amps are only available at higher RPM.

At lower speeds, the output is noticeably less.

True, so one would only be burning up the charging system and blowing up the battery some of the time.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
                everyone seems to have some pretty valid points, I am pretty frustrated as I was under the impression that this pack is the same as the light weight lipo cells sold at the dealer only without the plastic case.
                the development and technology of these batteries has leapt forward leaps and bounds since they first started using them, now they make them specifically designed for automotive use,not just motorcycles and are completely safe to use, despite what the old timers who dont like technological advancements say.

if they were that dangerous they wouldn't sell them!!!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  the development and technology of these batteries has leapt forward leaps and bounds since they first started using them, now they make them specifically designed for automotive use,not just motorcycles and are completely safe to use, despite what the old timers who dont like technological advancements say.

if they were that dangerous they wouldn't sell them!!!

I note that the seller is in China, far from the toxic kaboom...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i bought mine from the USA !
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
                      History is riddled with that erroneous affirmation, and why is it whenever someone dis-agrees with something that has anything to do with modern technology, the only reason for any kind of difference in opinion must be due to old age?

Numerous manufacturers of Lipo batteries make the statement not to use ordinary charging units of lead acid batteries to charge their batteries, even with that said, it possible some manufacturers have taken that into account and have engineered something within the battery itself to allow for this to change.

Most of the comments prior to your super insightful re-torte, was due to the OP's claim of installing an 18v lipo in his bike, with only bits of additional info trickling in.

Really...if they were that dangerous they wouldn't......
                      i didnt say anything about old age! i said old timer, which in the UK means someone who is stuck in their ways and still thinks old tried and tested methods are always the best because they cant/dont trust technological development.
                      the Ballistic batteries come with instructions which says a normal trickle charger is perfectly acceptable to charge the battery if required as long as it cuts off at 14V, to prevent over charging.
                      my "super insightful re-torte" as you call it was merely to point out that LiPo batteries are available specifically for auto use from mopeds,to snowmobiles to dragcars. they have been designed and tested and are perfectly safe if used according to the intended use.
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
                        I understand this, but it seemed the OP wasn't sure what he had purchased, and not all lipo battery manufacturers will condone this, as they may not all be made the same. And....I was mostly as they say, just giving you the gears a little
                        fair play mate, the OP did admit that it wasnt really the battery he thought it was when he purchased it. the fact he said it was 18V threw everyone into a panic to start with but when we found out he had charged it to 18V then that is when things can start to get explosive!
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

And I do apologize again for my misinformation. the battery is definitely NOT 18v only rated for 13.4v but over-charged to 18v. I own my error.

Comment

Working...
                          X