Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No turn signals / Pics of my new bike

Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my 1980 gs550e , it had turn signals working when i got it back from the shop, but now they just stopped working randomly. I checked the fuses which are still good, I just replaced the flasher unit before picking up the bike so it should be ok I think, is there way to test the flasher?

The bike has a dime city gauge with a single turn signal indicator LED light. I did the diode setup which was working fine but now randomly I have no blinkers.

Any help would be appreciated guys! thanks...

another pic

Comment

Originally posted by dawnofadreamx97 View Post
      Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my 1980 gs550e , it had turn signals working when i got it back from the shop, but now they just stopped working randomly. I checked the fuses which are still good, I just replaced the flasher unit before picking up the bike so it should be ok I think, is there way to test the flasher?

The bike has a dime city gauge with a single turn signal indicator LED light. I did the diode setup which was working fine but now randomly I have no blinkers.

Any help would be appreciated guys! thanks...
      Fuse would not cause a random problem.
      Diodes wired wrong for your single turn indicator would not cause randome problem. WOuld be a constant problem.

For randome problem of turn signal "not working" I would suspect the switch needs to be cleaned up. Try spraying in some contact cleaner, but probably have to take it apart.
      I assume by "not working" you mean it doesnt come on at all sometimes, as opposed to comes on but doesnt blink.

On occasion of it not working, does it then work if just try the switch again?

Thanks for pic of bike. Maybe post more in "owners".

Last edited by Redman; 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. dawnofadreamx97,

What did you replace the flasher with? A stock part? Aftermarket? Have you gone through the wiring harness and cleaned all the connectors and grounds? Here's some S.W.A.G. that may help.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have experienced this on my 750, I even bought new indicator bulbs but to no help, it was bad wiring, or rather the connectors that where 34 years old and would just randomly disconnect from each other....
          Check your wiring and connectors that runs to and from the indicators

Comment

thanks guys! i'm going to go through everything tonight when i get home from work. I cleaned the switch out good with a scotchbrite pad and contact cleaner and still no dice. I'm going to start going through all my grounds and connectors and see how i do from there....

I think i'm going to rewire the whole electrical system according the stator papers guidelines and replace the rectifier / stator and etc, it was a stock flasher unit that i installed.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X