Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing connectors on SH775 r/r with plumbers putty

I needed a new r/r and I bought a SH775 after reading this thread
    I was considering skipping the special connectors and using regular spade terminals and sealing the space around them to keep out the elements as I see others have done, but I do not much like the idea of having something (semi) permanent like RTV or whatever, in case I need to take it apart again for any reason down the road. I'm considering using plumbers putty as a sealant because it remains flexible for a long time and it is made to keep water out. I'll need to grab a chunk of it and test it for conductivity soon, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the stuff for this purpose? See any glaring reasons that I should not?

Thanks for any input,
    Chris

RTV peels off easily, but dielectric grease is all you need.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Plumbers putty (two part that you mix together) is an epoxy and hardens rock hard. If you use that you will not be able to get things apart if you need to. Stick with a silicon if you just want a water barrier.

Good luck,
      spyug

Comment

if he is talking about the stuff in the plastic containers, that stuff don't go hard...

Plumber's putty is a pliable substance used to create watertight seals around faucets and drains. The putty is considered one of the basic plumber tools and is often used any time plumbing fixtures are replaced. Plumber's putty should not be confused with Teflon® tape, which is used to seal pipe joints that are threaded.
        Different brands of plumber's putty often contain different ingredients. Many products make use of some type of clay as a base ingredient. Linseed oil is also a common additive. Other formulas include limestone, a blend of fish oils, or talc.
        Plumber's putty is used primarily during the installation of faucets and drains. The putty remains soft for a long time, making it a good choice for situations where a watertight, but reversible, seal is preferred. A bead of putty can be placed around the base of a faucet before it is attached to the sink, and the excess wiped off. The putty will seal the join between the two, preventing water from seeping in.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

GK:
          Yeah, that's the stuff. I used to sell tons of it when I worked at the hardware store. It goes around sink drains, etc to seal non threaded gaps. It's supposed to "never" harden.

tkent:
          I hadn't considered that. It should remain relatively undisturbed when it's tucked in there. And I guess as long as it is thick enough to not flow out it should stay put. Maybe I'm over-thinking things.

Comment

Yes you are. Do as tkent suggests and you will be fine.
            If you plan on fording streams you can use RTV , but it is not necessary under ordinary conditions.

Comment

SH-775 results seem to be confirmed it is a SERIES R/R and the R/R of choice for all 3 Phase PM charging systems which includes almost all GS charging system.

Results discussion.

Current Avaliablity

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
              X