wiring issues gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring issues gs1000g

im fixing another ones mistake once again....

this time its a 9181 gs1000g

the deal is it has an 1100 wiring harness on it...is this possible to make work? the gs 1100 plugs have been cut out and replaced with the gs1000 plugs..

all the colors seem to match up but i cant get power to anything

yep first thing i checked was theose wires....they match to the color on the wiring...

im stumped...lol

Comment

I put a shaft drive 1000G harness in my old 1000S. Had to graft in different plugs, change the location of a few other plugs, and add in a few unique runs (for the oil temp for example), but in the end, it all worked out.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I put a shaft drive 1000G harness in my old 1000S. Had to graft in different plugs, change the location of a few other plugs, and add in a few unique runs (for the oil temp for example), but in the end, it all worked out.

hm maybe im missing something somewhere...its funny how all the wire colors match but nothing happens...off to wiring again

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          .......................... but i cant get power to anything
          By that do you mean that no lights come on, or do you mean you have no power to even the fuses?

You trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem with your eyeballs, or do you have a meter?

SHould have power to main fuse all the time, then when turn key on then have power to the head, the ignition and the signal fuses.

And.. how about the ground? Black/WHite wire from harnerss to batt-, and other Black/WHite to frame, and another to battery box.

Last edited by Redman; 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

One presumes you are working with a Volt-Ohmmeter, and if not, please get one before proceeding.

Also, be sure you are working with a fully-charged battery, and that both ground and hot sides are properly connected. Ground failure is common, and adding a second cable to a second mount point on the frame , engine or R/R can be of help.

If you have power to all leads, and clean connections, then disconnect the R/R connector block.

Now check again for power to different points on the bike.

You do this because sometimes the R/R can go bad, and nothing else will work, but there is really nothing wrong with the rest of the system (although it is likely the stator will have been taken out when the R/r failed)

Not that?

Check the fuse box as Daniel already suggested.

The fuse box internals have a tendency to corrode, and that leads to increasingly poor contacts, as well as heat build-up caused by the corrosion, which was already mentioned.

Inside the 1100 harness there are multiple connections, including what amounts to a loop-back on a live wire, and if the internal connector fails, it leaves little else to work with.

This part is in the leg that exits towards the starter, but is near the main harness.

If someone has already made mistakes, as you suggest, then it may be best to open the harness entirely and check it out. I do not know the differences inside 1000 or 1100 harnesses, as I have never opened a 1000 one, but they are not that difficult to work with. You will find bullet connectors can fail in there because of water leaks (corrosion) or they just come loose due to time, heat, and vibration.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

every thing had power but the gauges...my meter seems to have decided to not work...everything seems good now

Comment

Working...
              X