Stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator question

I'm not having luck with the search for some reason, too many posts to wade through. Does anyone make a stator for my '79 550 that pumps out more juice than the stocker? I'm running more lights than stock and could use a little more "oomph". Already running a mosfet (sp?) r/r. If not then I'll just swap as much as I can over to LED's so my running lights don't overwhelm the system. Thanks

Hi,

If you are running a 12-pole stator you can upgrade to the later 18-pole stator to get a little more juice. You will also have to install a rotor from a later model so that the number of magnets match the stator. There were 4 magnets used in the rotor for the 12-pole stator and 6 magnets for the 18-pole stator.

I've also seen a picture of a car alternator on a GS850, mounted externally and using a fan belt from a pulley mounted to ignition side of the crank. But it was ugly with a capital UG!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ah, that sounds interesting. Direct swap then, no tomfoolery to be dealt with?

Comment

Hi,

It might take some effort to get the rotor off, maybe an impact driver. You'll want to use some Lock-tite when you put the new rotor back on.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Fantastic, thanks much Cliff!

Comment

Working...
          X