Dyna 000 Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 000 Ignition

I just traded for a 78 GS 1000 project, I needed the motor for another GS 1000 with titled frame. On this motor is a Dyna 000 ignition, Im not sure how its suppose to hook up. The guy I got it from said motor turns over but they couldnt get spark, but the wiring and gauges are hanging some hooked up some not looks like someone took a baseball bat to the speedo and tach. I have another gs 1000 I can go off of for the electrical but just wanted to know if anyone had any instructions or directions on how to install this dyna properly or to make sure it is installed right. Thanks

here's the link for the Dyna 2000 from their website, can't imagine yours will be too much different.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Actually, it's Dyna III module, not a Dyna 2000

Contact Dyna and they'll send you the instructions, it's an obsolete model

I have one on the Fridge
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, everyone got it from Dyna

Comment

So I took off the recitifier/regulator from the bike switched it with the recitifer and regualtor from a different GS 1000 and now I have headlights, SPARK and the motor now turns over with the starter button. Spark looks week but hey its a start.

Comment

Congrats. What colour is the spark? Yellow, red or blue?

Comment

How to test Rectifier and Regulator

It looked like thin blue spark. Im not sure if everything is working correctly. The solenoid I used was from that original bike because the other one didnt work so Im not sure about the regulator and recitifer. Any pointers on how to go about testing them?

Comment

Blue is good. Yellow is not good, red is horrible.

Comment

If you are talking about the starter solenoid, if it turns over it is fine.
                  Why did you change out a combined R/R for separate units?
                  They have absolutely no bearing on starting or the lights working, btw.
                  Please explain a bit more.

Comment

Turn Signal Unit

Yeah Im talking about the starter solenoid, the one from the other bike was just clicking so I replaced it then it started to crank using the starter button, I was jumping the solenoid before and the motor was cranking but no spark. I replaced the R/R with the two seperate ones because I have another gs 1000 and a manual so it was easier for me to figure out where the wires go, I dont know if the original stuff was hooked up right but once I replaced everything and the fuses the lights came on and I got spark. The guy I got the bike from got it from someone and he couldnt figure out the wiring so he might of messed up some of the wiring.

Also the turn signal sender unit is missing can I just wire the turn signals from the switch to the lights to the flasher relay for them to work? My other GS 1000 turn signals dont work I replaced the sender unit then every once in awhile one side or the other will flash but not both. Any ideas?
                    Thanks Again everyone
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

O.K., it does sound like your wiring is messed up. I can't help with the turn signals or the 2 part R/R, but I can tell you how to correctly connect the combined R/R. If you will tell me the number and the colors of the wires on the R/R, I can tell you how to connect everything up so the charging system functions correctly. You will need some very basic wiring skills to do this, but it sounds like you have those.

Comment

Originally posted by 1wyatt2 View Post
                        Yeah Im talking about the starter solenoid, the one from the other bike was just clicking so I replaced it then it started to crank using the starter button, I was jumping the solenoid before and the motor was cranking but no spark. I replaced the R/R with the two seperate ones because I have another gs 1000 and a manual so it was easier for me to figure out where the wires go, I dont know if the original stuff was hooked up right but once I replaced everything and the fuses the lights came on and I got spark. The guy I got the bike from got it from someone and he couldnt figure out the wiring so he might of messed up some of the wiring.

Also the turn signal sender unit is missing can I just wire the turn signals from the switch to the lights to the flasher relay for them to work? My other GS 1000 turn signals dont work I replaced the sender unit then every once in awhile one side or the other will flash but not both. Any ideas?
                        Thanks Again everyone
                        If you are trying to test the regulator or rectifier your manual will give you a step by step process, as well there's lots of threads here just use the search function. What year and model bike are you working on as not all of them had a signal sender(control) unit and just for my clarity 'exactly' what part are you referring to? if it's the one on the right of the battery box all that does is turn off the signals automatically and I doubt there is a functioning one of those left on the planet. 'If' that's the unit you're referring to there's a simple bypass mod for that but we had better make sure what you're talking about first. You should have a good look around Cliff's site if you haven't already, everything you're dealing with is on there. I'm taking it you're just trying to start the engine to do a compression test/see what you have?

Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

sender unit

Yeah on this bike I dont see the connectors for tke sender, on my other two it has the sender unit, on the right side of the battery

Comment

Getting spark from hitting starting button

I think I have an issue when I hit the starter button im getting spark, dont know if this is suppose to happen, it seemed i have an issue some times it would crank over and spark some times it wasnt. When I connect the black and white wires coming from the coils to the wiring harness is makes an arc and you can hear it. Also when I hook up the battery you can hear the spark plug as it sparks? I have no idea any thoughts?

Comment

I think I got it again

So the red wire coming from the Dyna module that splices into the coil wires was loose, it was previously spliced on the orange and white wire going to the 2-4 coil so I spliced it before it splits to the two coils, seems to work I think it just was a loose connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X