12 to 18 pole stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 to 18 pole stator

Fixing the old mans 77 gs 750, just got the new electrosport 18 pole sator and 850 rotor in and it works a treat but........ would going from the stock 12 pole to the 18 pole change the timing at all?? Was in time perfect with the 12 pole but now stutters and backfires through the airbox with the 18 pole setup?? Am happy to do timing again but if anyones done the same and ended up with the same result i would love to know how you rectified it???

New 18 pole stator and matching rotor? Yeah, maybe you disturbed the timing when you pulled old rotor off crankshaft- better recheck. Did you use an impact wrench on rotor bolt?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

On the other hand, I don't see how the stator and rotor would affect timing at all.

To put this in car terminology: why would changing the alternator move the distributor?

Was the bike running well just before the stator/rotor change? I mean JUST BEFORE, not two or three months ago.

There is NOTHING on the left end of the crank (where the rotor and stator are) that would affect the timing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Maybe his points plate was loose and the banging on other end of crank telegraphed thru.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Here's an idea, check the timing.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, bike was running fine ( apart from no charge) just before i did the swap!! Will do the timing and see if that helps?

Comment

Retimed the bike and it seems fine now, bit strange why it changed though?? All the locking screws were tight on the breaker plate so it couldn't have moved from me pounding on the rotor!! But anyway, problem solvered!!

Comment

If/when there are no longer any 12 pole stators I'm going to do the same swap. Thankfully I have a known good backup 12 pole stator.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                X