Rewinding Stators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewinding Stators.

After reading a recent post on stator coating etc, I was curious if any of you guys rewind these things?? I've read over the procedure and frankly I don't want to try it. Thought I found an electrical shop here to do it, so I took him a couple. A couple months later I went back to check on his progress and he had closed his business. SOB didn't even bother to call me. I checked with some other shops here and they don't want to bother with them. I have 3 I would like to get redone.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I know a place down here in new zealand that will do them?!?!? sadly i dont think it would help you... It might not be cost effective? are you sure the ones you have are stuffed??

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
      I know a place down here in new zealand that will do them?!?!? sadly i dont think it would help you... It might not be cost effective? are you sure the ones you have are stuffed??
      Oh yeah they are "stuffed" as you call it. Me they are toast.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

you could wrap them yourself with a little patience.... Its a bit of a challenge but its a bunch cheaper. a quick look online and many people have done it!! personally when i get to that road i plan on just updating all the electrics with new to avoid the hassle! http://planetklx.org/techtips/stator.html heres a link to guy that has heaps of pictures and step by step!

Comment

plus if you have three to go with you can stuff up twice and get the third prefect!

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
            http://planetklx.org/techtips/stator.html heres a link to guy that has heaps of pictures and step by step!
            Yes, that is a link, but I would not recommend following that guy's example.

Not sure if what he did was unique to his KLX or just not correct at all, but he admits that he did one thing and got no power, so he did something else. That shows me that he did not know what he was doing. If he had mentioned that as an afterthought, as an example of what NOT to do, it would not be so bad, but he went through that all in the "here is what you need to do" section.

He also winds alternate coils in different directions. If my electrical training has not expired, I am thinking that they would cancel each other, giving you NO OUTPUT. His stator also has a considerably different number of poles than ours.

Thanks for the link, but I think I will continue to look ELSEWHERE.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

good to know... I wish someone here would do a break down the same way but correctly on how to wrap the stator.... For us non Sparky's its a real mystery and seriously stressfull!! The Stator papers were good, but still i have read them a few times and i still think when it comes to this part of my build i fear and loath it!

Comment

Hi,

Using the stator rewinding guide in the Garage Section of The GS Resources website, Mr. Nerobro documents his stator rewinding experience in this thread on the GSR Forum.

I have also seen an eBay merchant that will exchange your burnt out stator core for a reduced price on one of his rewound stators. I don't know if he will rewind yours and send them back. I don't even know if that merchant is active any more.

Rewinding is something that you'd have to do in your spare time, a couple of hours at a time, unless you were in a hurry. It is very tedious but shouldn't take more than a few days. I keep telling myself that I'm going to try my hand at it. I've got two or three dead stators in my garage. Maybe one of these days.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If anyone wants to give it a go, I have the complete kit to do around 6-8 stators. It includes:
                  Large spool of stator wire
                  Epoxy with catalyst
                  High temp wire
                  I also have one 850 stator that tests O.K. but needs the epoxy and high temp wire attached to it.
                  If you are interested, send me a PM.

Comment

Basscliff said....
                    "Rewinding is something that you'd have to do in your spare time, a couple of hours at a time, unless you were in a hurry. It is very tedious but shouldn't take more than a few days. I keep telling myself that I'm going to try my hand at it. I've got two or three dead stators in my garage. Maybe one of these days. "
                    It is tedious and since new stators can be had for less than $100, I'd pass on rewinding myself and save my labour for other maintenance.

I also have three dead stators- if someone wants one, let me know.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have neither the patience or the inclination to even attempt it.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi,

Using the stator rewinding guide in the Garage Section of The GS Resources website, Mr. Nerobro documents his stator rewinding experience in this thread on the GSR Forum.
                        Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        I always thought that was a particularly cool endeavor. Admirable attention to detail & execution. I wonder how the result held up versus a commercial unit like a Rick's.

My last Rick's looked a bit more crude (or home-wound anyhow) than that one did!
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Nerobro's is still going strong. He did a nice job.

Comment

Working...
                          X