What do I do with this?? GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I do with this?? GS450

Im looking to tackle this mess of an ecletric job and I need to know where to start. I want to clean everything up and I'm thinking I should just start tearing it apart and stripping the bike down.

Anyone have a good plan of attack?

I'll post a picture and a link to my FB album...

I checked out the link to the FB page. It's a rats nest to be sure, but does everything work?

If it does all work, I would leave it mostly alone. Simply cut those zip ties and re-route the wires better (so it looks cleaner). Also get some dielectric grease and a wire brush and clean up the connections. Good maintenance that helps ensure that no voltage is lost due to dirty connections.

If it all works, don't go ripping everything out just for the sake of ripping it out. Electrics can pose a great big head ache.

PS I also saw that you went to Eustace. That's near my not-so-old stomping grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
      I checked out the link to the FB page. It's a rats nest to be sure, but does everything work?

If it does all work, I would leave it mostly alone. Simply cut those zip ties and re-route the wires better (so it looks cleaner). Also get some dielectric grease and a wire brush and clean up the connections. Good maintenance that helps ensure that no voltage is lost due to dirty connections.

If it all works, don't go ripping everything out just for the sake of ripping it out. Electrics can pose a great big head ache.

PS I also saw that you went to Eustace. That's near my not-so-old stomping grounds.
      That's the one thing, everything does work. The only issue is the battery is pretty much shot, I need to use a charger to get enough juice to turn it over. I'm looking to take her apart and do a full rebuild and clean her up so I didn't really know where to start for that.

Ah, yes I did go to Eustace. Funny how small the world is, huh? Just moved across the bridge to get out of "Jerz".

Comment

Start by getting a new battery. They are not very expensive and well worth it, just to know that you removed one possible issue. A quick trip to to any decent bike dealer will take care of that.

Make sure you get a sealed AGM battery, because you have it mounted on it's side and a standard water battery could leak and that's not good.

With a new battery, and clean connections, it will be very easy to check the charging system, and find out whether or not you have any other issues with charging the bike. All you need is a running bike and a cheap digital voltmeter.

Comment

You post "what do I do with this?", then show a picture of almost the whole bike.

If you are asking what to do with the bike, we can offer some answers.

If you are asking about something a little more specific, please make your question a little more specific.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCafe View Post
            Im looking to tackle this mess of an ecletric job and I need to know where to start.
            IDK Steve, seemed like a pretty appropriate picture to me. To go with his simple question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
              IDK Steve, seemed like a pretty appropriate picture to me. To go with his simple question.
              Maybe it was the combination of "eclectic" and "electric" that got me.
              Originally posted by PhillyCafe View Post
              Im looking to tackle this mess of an ecletric job ...

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. PhillyCafe,

It seems I have yet to welcome you properly. But before I do that, check out these links...

How To Repair Your Wiring Harness
                Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

Now here's some S.W.A.G. In the links below you will find all kinds of stuff from extracting broken bolts to installing electrical relays and LEDs, cleaning carbs, testing and repairing the charging system, adjusting the valves, etc.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I'm with Tim, if the harness works ok, then clean it and tidy it, don't start chopping it up.

I've replaced my stock ignition with a Dynatek setup but the ignitor and signal generator connectors have been left intact and just cable tied neatly out of the way.

During my rebuild I cleaned all connectors on the harness with contact cleaner as well as dismantling and cleaning all other electrical odds and ends like the kill switch, start button, ignition switch, etc. It made a huge difference.

I used to think that was a pretty neatly done job on your bike but now I see it's not at all... if there is custom wiring under there that is too long, then there will be no harm in shortening/neatening it up, but just be 100% sure you know where everything goes so you can get it back together properly. It sure is a bit of a mess...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Just do one wire at a time, cleaning as suggested, and replacing any fraid wires and burnt connectors. Look under that electrical tape and make sure everything is clean and well connected inside. Be sure to replace all bad connectors with better quality ones or solder everything together if not worried about taking much apart in the future. If you want to remove entire harness for complete rebuild, do all work on bike first, and make sure all is finished before removing everything from frame. I would suggest labeling wiring connections and what they go to before tearing completely apart, unless you're very good at reading wiring diagrams and all the wiring colors on bike matches wiring diagram. Lots of us find po have done lots of bad wiring which can cause lots of future problems. Once you get a new battery and wiring cleaned up, check out the stator papers on Basscliff's site and make sure everything is charging properly. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                    X