Bulb holder puller in '83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have suggestions for the proper tool/procedure to pull the bulb holder out of the speedo or tach on an '83 GS1100E? I recently had to replace the bulb in the fuel gauge and that holder came out using a gentle pull from a needle nose plier. I figured while the instrument panel was off the bike and apart it I'd replace the bulbs for the side stand, head lamp, stop lamp etc. Took a bit of work to pull the rubber holders out of the housing but they were connected to each other which helped. The bulbs for the speedo and tach (upper and lower) are another story. I almost destroyed one of the holders trying to remove it. Technique? Tool? Don't want to destroy it cause it'll be a real nightmare to fix. Might just leave it till it burns out but would appreciate some advice.

Originally posted by GlenT. View Post
    Anybody have suggestions for the proper tool/procedure to pull the bulb holder out of the speedo or tach on an '83 GS1100E? I recently had to replace the bulb in the fuel gauge and that holder came out using a gentle pull from a needle nose plier. I figured while the instrument panel was off the bike and apart it I'd replace the bulbs for the side stand, head lamp, stop lamp etc. Took a bit of work to pull the rubber holders out of the housing but they were connected to each other which helped. The bulbs for the speedo and tach (upper and lower) are another story. I almost destroyed one of the holders trying to remove it. Technique? Tool? Don't want to destroy it cause it'll be a real nightmare to fix. Might just leave it till it burns out but would appreciate some advice.
    Some of those can be really frustrating to get out, I know. I've resorted to spraying a little WD-40 around the edges and then try to break the seal, by twisting and turning, it's like they're glued in. In a effort to cut my losses I stopped with only the bulbs I knew I had to replace.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Sedelen:

Thanks for the reply. I actually considered using some kind of lube and see if I could work it around the edges to free it up. Thanks for validating that. In the meantime I also took your path and decided to wait till I absolutely had to replace the bulb.

Thanks again,

Glen

Comment

Originally posted by GlenT. View Post
        Sedelen:

Thanks for the reply. I actually considered using some kind of lube and see if I could work it around the edges to free it up. Thanks for validating that. In the meantime I also took your path and decided to wait till I absolutely had to replace the bulb.

Thanks again,

Glen
        Your welcome,
        That rubber gets hard over time, I think mine were greased and the greased dried out and basically glued them in. But as bad as those were, they were not as bad as the ones in my GS1000. I thought for sure I was going to destroy them getting them out. Patience pays though, as I finally won out.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
        X