Compact Battery Recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compact Battery Recomendation

I have spent some time searching, but couldn't find any actual answers in existing threads.
    I am building a 1979 GS550, into a cafe racer-esque style.
    I am going to be relocating my battery under the seat, laying flat, in a space roughly 6" X 6" X 2.5 to 3" deep. I can make the tray as deep as 3.5", but I would rather be closer to 2.5".

This is a street bike with lights and signals, headlight can be switched off. I have a kick starter, so I don't think I need as much as the 160 cranking amps that the original battery had. It was also a 10 Ah (@10 hr rate) battery.

Can someone give me some guidance or recommendation as to a good option...type, size, model, etc.

Here are some of the ones I have been looking at:

This one would be a tight fit, but is probably good electrically:
    Check out the deal on YT14B-4 AGM Maintenance Free Battery at BatteryMart.com

This one has good dimensions, but may be to light electrically (I may be wrong about that......I hope I am 'cause this would fit perfectly):
    Check out the deal on YT7B-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery at BatteryMart.com

Or the Antigravity 4 and 8 cells. The 4 cell might be too light electrically, and the 8 cell is a bit more expensive than I really want to spend. In either case, I worry about having the battery lose charge. Once they get discharged below a certain point, LiFe batteries are gone, done, kaput!
    South Bay Street Machines, located in Gardena California USA, is an Authorized reseller you can contact for Antigravity Batteries lithium-ion products.
    Last edited by 8ball; 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM.
    1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
    sigpic
    My GS550 Build

i use a BALLISTIC 8 cell LiPo battery on my GS. works great
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What about maintaining the battery's charge when not in use? This is what concerns me about the LiFePO batteries. Do you need a special tender or charger (like when stored for winter)?

sigpic
      My GS550 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
        What about maintaining the battery's charge when not in use? This is what concerns me about the LiFePO batteries. Do you need a special tender or charger (like when stored for winter)?
        no you dont, you can use a normal trickle charger if needed. the battery will hold a full charge for a year when not in use
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Cool, thanks. They are a bit pricier than I wanted, but definitely a good option. And I can find them a bit cheaper than the Antigravity version.

sigpic
          My GS550 Build

Comment

I went out to start my GS450 after letting it sit awhile and then charged it for two days, nothing! It's either dead or ran out of water and got fried by my lazy ass when I hooked it up to the charger. I am definitely getting the Ballistic battery this time, no more Walmart cheapies. Looks like the 4 cell will work for my 450, but emailed them to check as it isn't listed on their specs. Thanks guys, for asking and for having the answer!

Comment

I went with an 8 cell Alien Motion battery and bought the balance charger as well (just a re-branded Tenergy). Although I might try to make a flat 8 cell battery using A123 cells on my own, so that I can fit it under my seat a lot easier.
              1983 GS650G
              Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Pretty pricey but the Shorai Li-Ion batteries are amazing.

Comment

Running this little puppy in my 850.....testing soon to begin

Comment

Working...
                  X