No announcement yet.

Easy Peasy Solenoid Question - GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve - You are 100% with your assessment.

I did try to spin the starter without the cover, and yep, the idler gear was spinning and so was the gear behind the rotor.

By Sprag Gear, I mean starter clutch. It looks to be a spring and an engagement pin.

So my plan is to order a puller for the rotor and a repair kit for the starter clutch.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCM911 View Post
      Does this sound correct?
      Are we all on the same page here ? This is my Rotor / Start clutch

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yep!! And mine is totally loose! Once I get my new tool, I'll remove the rotor, and we'll be able to see what is actually going on.

Sorry to be such a pain on the tech terms. In close to forty years of riding, I have never had to go in this deep. On cars, yes, but with on bikes, I am still on a steep learning curve where mechanics are concerned.

Comment

Here is mine. I can move the starter clutch in and out. I am betting it is loose.

Comment

OK - I ordered a magneto puller from ebay....and it was the wrong size. I ordered a 35mm, but it was too big for the 1983 GS1100E. It seems to fit every model but mine!

Does anyone know where I can order the correct size puller(maybe 30mm?) for my bike?

Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
            X