80' GS450. My Regulator's toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80' GS450. My Regulator's toast?

When I put my Bike for the winter, I pulled the battery,and it's acid level was pretty low. No other signs of something being wrong, It allways started so I dident think anything was wrong.

So I did the Volt test, 13.x~ at idle, 16v+ by 5000rpm.

That means My regulator is toasted, right? I think I caught it in time for the stator to be safe, as it's still chargeing( just too much).

Once the thing Cool's off I'm going to go look for loose connections.

Is there a cheap replacement?
    I don't have alot of $$ to spend. I've done some searching on here, but I'm a bit overwhelmed, so much info just on replacement Regulators i'm not sure were to start.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM.

Most people buy a used Shindingen (sp) off eBay for around $20. BassCliff probably has a list, or someone else can chime in. There are a couple of other suitable brands as well.
    You are correct, with those numbers the regulator part of your regulator/rectifier is no longer regulating. And be sure and use only distilled water to top off the battery, tap water will kill it.

Comment

Overwhelmed by regulator choices ? I assume you been to Basscliff's command center and searched. Yes, there are even more choices of CHEEP R/R's off ebay. I'll throw this additional one out- very common on ebay- used on billions of ninjas. SH -530 -12. slightly smaller than typical ones on Basscliff's, but more than up to task.
      But first, doublecheck and clean all the charging system connections and then TEST, cuz this is vital.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well I figured out why My R/R is toast. I forgot about this, when i got the bike, there was a broken ground I replaced. Looking at the wireing diagram, it was the R/R ground.
        Also found a Few connectors that are messed up.

Are the "New" Chinese Regulators on Ebay any good? I found one thats a "direct replacement", $40 shipped.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

You can try a Chinese knockoff but why - 30 yearold Shindengens are rugged and CHEAP

like this ebay item #

or

or

Last item is slightly smaller than typical Shindengen

There are hundreds on ebay- dive in and find one with reasonable shipping cost.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Rusty,

Have a gander at all of the information in the links below. You'll be glad you did.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              You can try a Chinese knockoff but why - 30 yearold Shindengens are rugged and CHEAP

like this ebay item #

or

or

Last item is slightly smaller than typical Shindengen

There are hundreds on ebay- dive in and find one with reasonable shipping cost.
              Thank you thank you thank you.

Comment

*Do* go the second hand Shindengen.

*Don't* do the cheap Chinese/Taiwanese replacement or "upgrade" R/R's...

I put a cheap Taiwanese one on mine when I rebuilt it and it lasted probably 8 months before it failed and started over charging with the headlight off and under charging with the headlight on. Even when it was "working" it had moments of over and under charging.

I got a second hand SH532 off eBay locally here and it's been faultless ever since.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'm replacing my R/R with a Shindengen SH532-12. Can anybody tell me what the number after the serial number means, for example:

SH532 - 12 4.5 vs.
                  SH532 - 12 3.9

Thanks!
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Holly resurrected thread...

Forget the SH532 and go with an SH-775. It's much better regulator and easier on your stator.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X