Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 Regulator Mounting Holes

Hi all,
    I bought an SH775 regulator to throw in the bike, but the mounting holes on the body of the regulator are just a bit wider than the stock holes on the bottom of the battery bucket (just a couple of mm). I would swear that I read about someone who wanted to file out the holes on the regulator a bit to make it work, but I'll be damned if I can find the right combination of search terms to find it again to read whether it turned out to be a good idea or not.

Has anyone done this with a good or bad result? I am open to mounting it elsewhere because I think the added airflow would be a great benefit, but I do like the cleaner look of having it tucked away.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

—Chris

just open out the holes until it fits.....file each hole the same amount to even the spacing.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

I just cut mine in order to have it fit.

You also see the connections I modified to replace the bullet connectors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

Comment

Thanks, Agemax and Cliff. I should have said that the reason I asked is that in my case, the mounting holes on the buciket are smaller than the ones on the regulator, so in this case I would be filing the holes on the inboard side (closer to the guts of the thing). It looks like the case has enough meat on it that I won't get into the internals, especially If I take from both sides equally. I was just hoping someone had done it already to put my concerns to rest.

Thanks again for weighing in.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling

Comment

Hi,

Look on the back. You should see an area of epoxy inside the heat sink. That's were the circuit is housed, encased in that epoxy. As long as you don't cut into that you'll be OK. Everything else is just the aluminum heat sink.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbelstein View Post
            Thanks, Agemax and Cliff. I should have said that the reason I asked is that in my case, the mounting holes on the buciket are smaller than the ones on the regulator, so in this case I would be filing the holes on the inboard side (closer to the guts of the thing). It looks like the case has enough meat on it that I won't get into the internals, especially If I take from both sides equally. I was just hoping someone had done it already to put my concerns to rest.

Thanks again for weighing in.
            Yes, I did. You will be fine.

Comment

I filed it down and got some longer SS screws and it mounted like a champ. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Comment

SH-775 results seem to be confirmed it is a SERIES R/R and the R/R of choice for all 3 Phase PM charging systems which includes almost all GS charging system.

Results discussion.

Current Avaliablity

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
                X