Mystery part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery part

I have no idea what this thing is. Does anyone? help?

Well, it appears to be a mystery part ON A MYSTERY BIKE.

Looks like it's on the lower-right side of the frame on a bike newer than '80, possibly '82 or newer.

You have a picture of the other side?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yah, do post picture of other side of the mystery part.

And do tell what bike model (maybe put that in sig line. Goto UserCP.)

Appears to me to be aftermarket accessory that was added.
      THat wiring harnes does look like it might be hand wound black tape, right? (cant really tell).

Next question we will then ask is:
      What/where is each wire tied into the bikes wiring. Unwind the balck tape to find out.

I am guessing it is a brake light modulator or maybe something to also make the turnsignal do some non-standard functions.
      SOme of the wires tied into fused power (maybe org/grn), and other wires tied into the brake light wiring (wht).

Last edited by Redman; 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

82 750T
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

This is the part that i am referring to:
          It has been in place since i got the bike (1982 GS750T).
          The turn signals and the tail light were both stock when i got it

the other side is flat and solid so its just this weird rectangluar block with wires coming out of one side.

I wanna get rid of it but i'm not sure what its for or what will happen.
          its definitely aftermarket as i havent seen it on any schematic.

Comment

Can you get any info from the guy you bought it from??? He may know what it was for or why it was added.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Can you get any info from the guy you bought it from??? He may know what it was for or why it was added.
              The guy i bought it from didnt do any wrenching nor did he have a lot of information about the bike.

Comment

Start the bike and disconnect one wire and see what STOPS working...thats one way to see what it does.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Are the wires going into it or soldered on it?
                  A ground plate?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Next question we will then ask is:
                    What/where is each wire tied into the bikes wiring. Unwind the black tape to find out.

Tell us what wire in bike wiring that each wire of the mystery unit is connected to.

Comment

What is That?

Originally posted by tenseventythree View Post
                      This is the part that i am referring to:
                      It has been in place since i got the bike (1982 GS750T).
                      The turn signals and the tail light were both stock when i got it

the other side is flat and solid so its just this weird rectangluar block with wires coming out of one side.

I wanna get rid of it but i'm not sure what its for or what will happen.
                      its definitely aftermarket as i havent seen it on any schematic.
                      I recently took close-ups of my "T" and see no reason for this piece. Why are there wires connected to it? (Sorry for the continual ???s)

Here's 2 different shots:

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I pulled off the electrical tape and found a black wire with a loop end on it. I figured it was a ground so I touched it to the frame while running. the rear turn signals lit up and flickered. if the ground hasnt been connected this whole time (3 months or so) it must not be operational right? so I just may need to connect the wires going into and out of it and ditch the unit altogether. yes?

Comment

Did you undo any of the other connected wires? Do the turn signals work as it is currently wired? Will undoing a wire make them not work?

Comment

alright,
                            i traced the wires and they all were turn signal/tail light/brake light related.

i went ahead and reconnected the wires to where they ought to go and got rid of the "unit".
                            i tested all the affected lights and they work just fine.

i then gathered them into a conduit for neatness

Comment

Wonder what the BOX was then..HMMM. That looks so much nicer and unsightly by the way!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X