2 Year Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Year Stator

When I was first getting my bike road worthy one of the first issues I addressed was the charging system. I solved the issue as the GSR recommends: ElectroSport stator and one of Duane's Honda RRs. Fast forward 26 months and about 7000 miles. My battery goes dead, no biggee, new battery installed. New battery dies, crap! Did some tests last night and found the stator shorted (no resistance) and some readings from the RR that don't quite line up with the Stator Papers. I asked Duane about my findings and he believes the RR is ok. I'm just puzzled why the mighty ElectroSport Stator has failed at such a young age?

Have you cleaned and greased, or better still, replaced all the crappy corroded connectors in your wiring loom? Corrosion or bad connections can create resistance in the wiring, and resistance creates heat. Heat is the enemy of your charging system. Because so many things tie together around the battery and fuse block, just because its not part of the charging path doesn't mean it can't have an effect on it.

Also, static testing cant always reveal issues with a reg/rec or a stator. There may be problems with the r/r. I'm certainly not suggesting that duaneage sold you a bunk regulator/rectifier because I'm sure he didn't, but bad grounding, connections etc could have slowly killed your new one leaving your stator unprotected to cook itself as well.

There is apparently another brand of series type regulator available now that is roughly half the cost of a Compufire. That is, by all accounts, the surest way to end charging woes for good. Even a MOSFET type can fail, and possibly cook your stator...

Comment

My bike is completely rewired. I didn't use any connectors (splices are twisted, soldered, and high temp heat shrinked) expect the spades into the fuse block (crimped and soldered). Majority of the branch is 140C rated silver tinned conductor. My grounds all make to a cleaned, tapped, and jamb nutted spot on the frame, including the one directly to the RR. Pretty sure the wiring isn't the issue, but definately a valid question.

I am leery about the RR and I definately wouldn't question Duaneage's integrity but (as an electrician myself) I know electrical components sometime's just don't hold up.

I looked on Compufire's website and dont see anything regarding a GS. What model I should be looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
        My bike is completely rewired. I didn't use any connectors (splices are twisted, soldered, and high temp heat shrinked) expect the spades into the fuse block (crimped and soldered). Majority of the branch is 140C rated silver tinned conductor. My grounds all make to a cleaned, tapped, and jamb nutted spot on the frame, including the one directly to the RR. Pretty sure the wiring isn't the issue, but definately a valid question.

I am leery about the RR and I definately wouldn't question Duaneage's integrity but (as an electrician myself) I know electrical components sometime's just don't hold up.

I looked on Compufire's website and dont see anything regarding a GS. What model I should be looking at?
        I'm actually not sure which model. None were made specifically for a GS but there have been quite a few guys who've installed one. Do a thread search on "Compufire Regulator" and I know there has been more than one very complete thread on it. Also there is another brand that costs about half as much, but I cannot recall the name. I'm sure helpful huh? Lol

Comment

The Electrosport is "overwound" i.e. it provides about a 20% boost on a stock stator. This exacerbates the problem of heat that Posplayr believes is the key problems with dead stators...

Usually Stators die quicker with frequent high speed runs at high revs (+5k rpm) as people here have testified. This also seems to suggest this line of thinking is correct.
          With an Electosport you might only need to run at 4k to get the same kind of feedback & overheating going on.

When too much current is generated by the high revs a Honda RR will "shunt" (i.e. short the stator windings) to control it. The Compuserve goes open circuit to achieve the same but without the fireworks.

I'm no expert but I think that's it in a nutshell. I am currently using a Shinsengen SH775 which is also supposed to be a series RR. We have yet to find anyone to independently test thought...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

100% get a Compufire, totally worth the money. When my bike was running, I burned through two stators doing long freeway commutes at high rpm (each only lasted like 1,000 miles) before I switched. When I took a look at the new stator with the Compufire it still looked brand new. It seems to be much more efficient too, I get a constant 14.5 volts from idle to redline.

Comment

Ok I bit.

Compufire 55402 is the part. Got it off amazon which had a review from a GSR member.

With the feedback and the research I did on it I am pretty confident that I won't have to deal with this particular problem again. At least I hope not for the price tag, ouch!

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
                Ok I bit.

Compufire 55402 is the part. Got it off amazon which had a review from a GSR member.

With the feedback and the research I did on it I am pretty confident that I won't have to deal with this particular problem again. At least I hope not for the price tag, ouch!

Thanks for the help guys
                The Honda Unit is very good but the stator can still fail. Add your experience to the Poll below.

The Compufire is the best solution to data, although there is an SH775 coming down the pike but I have never tested it first hand.

Comment

sorry i dont have anything to add, but speaking of heat my RR was hot to the touch after warming up for like 5 mins and idling. hot to where you could only hold your fingers on it for a couple seconds. is that normal?

Comment

Interesting poll. I just wanted a sure thing and it sounds like the compufire is just that.

Comment

I installed the Compufire shortly after posplayr introduced them to the forum, and have been running it with an Electrosport stator with no problems. There have been a few Compufire problem posts, but I think they were most likely self inflicted. I personally think they are the solution to the stator problems.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        I installed the Compufire shortly after posplayr introduced them to the forum, and have been running it with an Electrosport stator with no problems. There have been a few Compufire problem posts, but I think they were most likely self inflicted. I personally think they are the solution to the stator problems.
                        I installed a Compufire and a Electrosport stator two years ago as well, no problems to report.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
                          sorry i dont have anything to add, but speaking of heat my RR was hot to the touch after warming up for like 5 mins and idling. hot to where you could only hold your fingers on it for a couple seconds. is that normal?
                          probably bad connections.

Comment

Hi,

Your Electrosport stator lasted longer than mine did. I've have a Caltric (eBay seller) stator on my bike and it has out lasted Electrosport, RM Stator, and Rick's Electrics. Yes, I went through a lot of stators until I really cleaned up my wiring harness.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Does anyone think that the type of oil used may contribute to the early demise of a stator?

Comment

Working...
                              X