2 Year Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
    Does anyone think that the type of oil used may contribute to the early demise of a stator?
    Yes low oil will contribute

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

Your Electrosport stator lasted longer than mine did. I've have a Caltric (eBay seller) stator on my bike and it has out lasted Electrosport, RM Stator, and Rick's Electrics. Yes, I went through a lot of stators until I really cleaned up my wiring harness.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Really it has?
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just received the new Electrosport stator, it has more wiring than my old one. The old one was just 3 yellow leads. This one has 5. From a little R and D I believe the wiring is as follows: Yellow and Yellow/Black are one phase; Blue and Blue/White are a phase; and green is one phase.

Does anyone disagree with this?

Comment

Hi,

I have never see a stator for a GS with more than three wires. Got a picture? I have seen r/r units with 5 wires and similar color schemes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just received the new Electrosport stator, it has more wiring than my old one. The old one was just 3 yellow leads. This one has 5. From a little R and D I believe the wiring is as follows: Yellow and Yellow/Black are one phase; Blue and Blue/White are a phase; and green is one phase.

Does anyone disagree with this?
            Yes me! it should come PREWIRED as 3 phase wye connected- three output leads and that's all. Multichoice wiring schemes from one stator are to be avoided unless you are into experimentation. Is this stator covered with goop?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I saw an aftermarket stator recently that had what looked like 5 wires after pulling back the insulation you could see that two of the extra wires were just piggy backed onto one of the standard pairs. So clipped them back. Just guessing the are a variation of connections for the stator control but who knows.

Comment

After posting I took a closer look at the windings, it only have three out, as Tom said. They are splice into 2 leads on the blue and yellow a few inches from the end of the lead, which was under the outer sheath.

One more question: The compufire RR looks like it may be rotation specific. The plug is labeled A, B, and C. I do not have a rotation meter. Does anyone know which stator lead is which phase?

Comment

......The plug is labeled A, B, and C. I do not have a rotation meter. Does anyone know which stator lead is which phase?
                  Rotation meter? this ain't a motor, so it doesn't matter- the compufire won't care how the AC is thrown at it!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom, kinda what I thought but figured I should ask....

Comment

Ok shes all back together! Valve adjustment, Oil change, New X2 sealed Battery, Compufire RR, Electrosport Stator, and a couple jumpers redone with the cut-off wires from the RR (nice stuff). 12.6V off, 13.9V running regardless of rpm, beautiful. Making the plug up for the RR was a little painful since it comes with the plug male and female but not the connectors for the wires from the stator, a Radio Shack visit fixed that. I'm not big on plugs, but the one that came with it was really nice. The Compufire is alot bigger and heavier with big leads. I don't expect to be messing with my charging system again for quite a while.

Comment

Ok shes all back together! Valve adjustment, Oil change, New X2 sealed Battery, Compufire RR, Electrosport Stator, and a couple jumpers redone with the cut-off wires from the RR (nice stuff). 12.6V off, 13.9V running regardless of rpm, beautiful. Making the plug up for the RR was a little painful since it comes with the plug male and female but not the connectors for the wires from the stator, a Radio Shack visit fixed that. I'm not big on plugs, but the one that came with it was really nice. The Compufire is alot bigger and heavier with big leads. I don't expect to be messing with my charging system again for quite a while.
                        With the series control of the compufire this is not as important but you are still loosing about 0.35 volts maybe more. I would check the voltage drops between the r/r and the battery. The compufire should be regulating to 14.25v. It could be in the fusebox or else where
                        Last edited by posplayr; 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

It would have to be in the fuse box, which is still stock. Maybe my next upgrade, it would have to be about the same dimensions. I have a removable plate its on with the starter solenoid and turn signal relay that sits inside my fabricated battery box. Its a tight fit!

Comment

It would have to be in the fuse box, which is still stock. Maybe my next upgrade, it would have to be about the same dimensions. I have a removable plate its on with the starter solenoid and turn signal relay that sits inside my fabricated battery box. Its a tight fit!
                            What type fusebox do you have? The crimp style that use older round fuses need maintenance.
                            It is pretty straight forward to remove the back to get access to the fusebox. Use naval jelly to clean off the oxidation in the crimps and the flow solder into them. I have done it several times.there are pictures in one of my albums; I am on an iPhone now and it is difficult to cut and paste

Last edited by posplayr; 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Mine is a little different than the picture. It has the male disconnects out of the end of it. Ideally I think I would like one that has screw studs that would take sta-con rings. I took a ride yesterday and checked V when I got back: 14.34V, so I think the fuse box swap is a some-day project.

Comment

Working...
                              X