Simplified wiring for a 79' GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplified wiring for a 79' GS1000E

I would like to know if anyone here has a link to simplified wiring diagrams for the 79' GS1000E. I found one that shows mostly what I plan on doing but it's for points ignition.

I have a Dyna-s ignition on mine and I'm not quite sure how that would get incorporated into the new wiring.

I'm also a bit confused as to what this is (what my finger is sitting on in the photo).

There is also another black box with some wires leading to it that looks like it mounts to the side of the battery box (right side). I'll get a photo of that if no one knows what I'm talking about.

Hi,

That looks like a rectifier you are touching.

The older bikes had separate regulator and rectifier units.

As for the little box on the right side of your battery box, that is the normal position for the turn signal flasher relay (circled) and auto-cancel unit.

You will find some simplified wiring diagrams on my little website that you might be able to use as a template.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by badfish View Post
      I would like to know if anyone here has a link to simplified wiring diagrams for the 79' GS1000E. I found one that shows mostly what I plan on doing but it's for points ignition. ...
      Just how "simplified" do you want?

What are you planning on doing?

The GSR collective is somewhat omniscient, we are not (yet) clairvoyant.

Give us a clue what you want to do, we can give you some rather specific suggestions.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What I want to do is run a key, run/stop/start switch, headlight with hi/lo and tail light with brake. And obviously the charging system. I rewired my XS650 a few years ago like this.

BassCliff, if you look at my photo, isn't that the flasher unit to the left of my reg/rec above the starter relay?

Comment

Here is a better shot of the left side

And here is the black box on the right side of the battery tray. It seems to plug into the main harness.

Comment

The item at the top left is the flasher relay while the two deals with the fins are your R/R in separate pieces; can't tell what the other box would be though.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

There are wiring diagrams, cable location diagrams, and component locations in the manual. Granted, after 30 years some things get moved around by successive owners. But the manual is usually a good place to start.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

The older bikes had separate regulator and rectifier units.

I happen to have just gotten a harness for my 1000C with the stock regulator and rectifer in place.Yours looks to be a regulator/rectifier with the old rectifer still in place

Comment

Working...
                X