gixxer turn signal wiring indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gixxer turn signal wiring indicator

so i wanna get my turn signal indicator working...how would i wire both left and right so it blink that single light on the panel?

Do you have standard incandescent turn signals or have you "upgraded" to LEDs?

Is your single indicator bulb incandescent or LED?

If you have standard incandescent signals, connect one wire from your indicator to the left side, the other wire to the right side.

If you have LED signals, it is still possible, but a little more involved.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Do you have standard incandescent turn signals or have you "upgraded" to LEDs?

Is your single indicator bulb incandescent or LED?

If you have standard incandescent signals, connect one wire from your indicator to the left side, the other wire to the right side.

If you have LED signals, it is still possible, but a little more involved.

well i have both, just havent installed them lol...i just run rears, ill probably run the incandescent ones...

but what i dont get it that the bilb needs a ground dont it? if i run to hots to the 2 wires hows it gonna work

Comment

If you have standard incandescent bulbs all around, running two "hots" to the indicator works just fine. It works because they won't both be "hot" at the same time.

The smaller indicator bulb in the dash will only pass a certain amount of current. Since that little bit of current is not enough to light the signals on the other side of the bike, it simply uses their filaments as ground wires.

Yep, turn on the LEFT signals, there will be plenty of current available from the flasher unit to turn on the front and rear signals, as well as the smaller indicator bulb. But, like I mentioned above, there will not be enough current going through the indicator bulb to light the RIGHT signals.

If you move your signal selector to the RIGHT side, the indicator bulb will use the filaments of the LEFT signals for a ground connection.

This is possible because an incandescent bulb does not care which way current flows through it. If you were to change to an LED indicator, you would have to install a couple of diodes and change some wiring around to ensure that current will go through the LED in only one direction, but not go to the signals on the other side.

If you "upgraded" to LED signals, you have to do the diode trick again, because the incandescent inidcator will pass enough current to light the LED signals on the other side, giving you four-way flashers, no matter which way you flip your selector switch.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If you have standard incandescent bulbs all around, running two "hots" to the indicator works just fine. It works because they won't both be "hot" at the same time.

The smaller indicator bulb in the dash will only pass a certain amount of current. Since that little bit of current is not enough to light the signals on the other side of the bike, it simply uses their filaments as ground wires.

Yep, turn on the LEFT signals, there will be plenty of current available from the flasher unit to turn on the front and rear signals, as well as the smaller indicator bulb. But, like I mentioned above, there will not be enough current going through the indicator bulb to light the RIGHT signals.

If you move your signal selector to the RIGHT side, the indicator bulb will use the filaments of the LEFT signals for a ground connection.

This is possible because an incandescent bulb does not care which way current flows through it. If you were to change to an LED indicator, you would have to install a couple of diodes and change some wiring around to ensure that current will go through the LED in only one direction, but not go to the signals on the other side.

If you "upgraded" to LED signals, you have to do the diode trick again, because the incandescent inidcator will pass enough current to light the LED signals on the other side, giving you four-way flashers, no matter which way you flip your selector switch.

well isnt that some weird stuff...ill give it a whirl possibly tommorow...thanks steve

Comment

Working...
          X