GS 650 hard to start when hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 hard to start when hot.

Hi I have a 1983 Suzuki GS 650 MD which runs perfectly.

But I have a problem when the engine is hot, the symptom is that when I turn off the engine will not start when hot.

Everything seems to be that the starter motor is stuck (only turns a little and very slow) or the battery is dead, but it really is 13 V.

Can someone help me find the fault?

Thank you.

So the starter motor seems to have problems when hot ? Maybe the starter's brushes are worn out.
    If you "bump start" bike does it fire right up?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Eliseo, I read your apology in your signature, but itis not necessary.
      Your English seems to be a LOT better than those who live here and claim it as a primary (probably only) language.

Now to attempt to answer your question: Next time you experience this, try pulling the spark plugs out and cranking the engine. If it still cranks slowly, it might be that the starter is getting warm and binding. This might happen because it is dirty. Try removing the starter (you will have to remove the carbs first), open it up and clean out all the dust from the brushes.

Another quick test would be to have your voltmeter on the battery when you try to start the engine. You say the battery is 13 volts, but what does it read while you are pushing the button? If your battery is older, the voltage might drop considerably, causing the starter to turn slowly. There is more drag with a hot engine, so this might not show itself when cold. But, if you would, also check the battery voltage while starting your engine cold.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X