Installed a voltmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed a voltmeter

After having recurring problems with charging and starting, replaced my R&R with a shindengen mosfet one, and a new AGM battery. I bought an LCD voltmeter off of ebay :
    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for New 7.5V-20V LCD Digital Volt Voltage Panel Meter Voltmeter ERUS at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

and mounted it to my handlebars. Most of the time the volt readout is all over the place depending on rpm. Some kind of interference ? making it wonky. I wired the + to the positive line going from my relay mod to the coil. The negative was bolted to the coil mount. I thought the high voltage spark was causing it so I switched the ground to the engine. It didnt help. So, either the positive is being affected by the spark or the meter is wonky or just way too sensitive.? So where can I find a switched + source that shows full battery voltage besides my relay output?
    EDIT: a thought that maybe I should connect the + wire to the battery and run it to see if the readout is steady....

If the readout of this thing is still wonky after directly wiring it, consider this a negative review of this type of voltmeter on ebay.
    ****es me off because of the time, effort and money spent on buying this thing, mounting and wiring it as well as all the troubleshooting I have done so far.

Comment

Voltage goes up and down with relevance to the RPMs...if you disconnect the meter and use your multimeter directly to the battery and run up the RPMS youll see that it too flucuates up and down...which is normal.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i have my volt meter connected into the orange wire from the ignition switch and the ground connected to a spare connector in the headlight bucket.
        apart from the expected fluctuation with rising revs it reads steady
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It doesnt just rise and fall with revs, its flip flops all over the place even showing a negative sign at times. Once and a while at certain times it shows ~14.2, so I know it works somewhat. Just some kind of interference, like vibration or spark voltage making it go crazy.

Comment

i would connect it direct to the battery and try it. if it is still all over the place then it has to be a dodgy voltmeter
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Gearhead, that is EXACTLY the same one i got and it is from the SAME SELLER.

I connected mine several places but ended up running a wire back to the battery. I wasn't happy with a reading of 1/2 to 1 volt loss on the gs400 in the headlight area.. i just needed to know exactly what the bat was doing.

Mine flashes and flickers at idle but at slightly above idle (1300) it reads out just fine. I figure it is the 'less than perfectly square output" of the rect/reg confusing it.

however, riding down the road and around town.. it always displays correctly.

Idle.. not so well but it is still very useable.

if yours does the jumping all around all the time , contact him and i bet you will get a replacement.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                i would connect it direct to the battery and try it. if it is still all over the place then it has to be a dodgy voltmeter
                Yeah, some of these meters are crap out of box. But some meters don't have enough damping circuitry to show an "average" reading.Wiring to orange wire from key switch is a good spot- probably about 1/2 volt less than actual battery- good enough for me!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have exactly the same issue but what do you expect when the dang thing was $2 shipped free from Shanghai? I actually bought a few of them and I think one out of 4 worked. I've had a lot better luck with good old 'Murcan made analog units.

Perhaps not as accurate as digital but good enough for government work I can tell if I'm charging and as long as it doesn't jump to 15v+ I know things are working.

Our local Aladdins Cave (Princess Auto, like Harbour Freight) has them on for $6 this week and I'm going to stop in this afternoon and pick up a couple. for that price you can't go wrong IMHO.

cheers,
                  spyug

Comment

I have a different digital voltmeter, which I have wired to the battery. When I had my heated grips hooked up, I noticed that the voltage reading was unreadable when using the grips. The controller for the grips was designed to switch the grips on & off up to something like 20 times per second, depending on the setting you chose. It would be on 30%, 40%, 75%, or 100% of the time, depending on the setting. If you're hooking your voltmeter up to the coil circuit, you could see the voltmeter trying to read the voltage as it changes every time the coil fires the plugs.

Short version; hook it up to the battery.
                    JP
                    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                    1992 Concours
                    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                    2007 FJR

Comment

i bought this one......

ok, more expensive but from a UK seller so i got it fast, and it works great.
                      probably still made in japan or asia somewhere but at least with a UK seller it is easier for me if i had any issues with it.
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Its been 6 months + or so since I bought the voltmeter, so I doubt about getting a replacement. I am now thinking that even running the + and - wires past or anywhere near the coils and HT leads would induce voltage that would confuse the meter. There must be some kind of filter that could be wired inline to the meter to help. I remember some car amplifiers that came with filters to run on the + side as a filter.

Comment

I very much doubt that you can do anything with these cheapos. I have tried wiring mine seven ways from Sunday and no improvement. Even wiring directly to the batery it jumps and twitches all over the place.

I think you'd be better off just junking it and going with something entirely different, unless you enjoy driving yourself crazy But, on the off chance you do get it to work please let us know.

Good luck with it.
                          spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                            I very much doubt that you can do anything with these cheapos. I have tried wiring mine seven ways from Sunday and no improvement. Even wiring directly to the batery it jumps and twitches all over the place.

I think you'd be better off just junking it and going with something entirely different, unless you enjoy driving yourself crazy But, on the off chance you do get it to work please let us know.

Good luck with it.
                            spyug
                            I had a look at the gauge you mentioned at Princess Auto. Might be the way to go. I'm not sure where or how I would mount it though. Might be a good excuse for a ride to go look at it closer.

Comment

You could probably put an electrolytic capacitor in line with the voltmeter to smooth it out some. What size, I have no idea, it might be a trial-and-error thing anyway. Just make sure the cap is rated for 24v or higher and that you get the polarity right.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X