Best way to wire in a 12v outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to wire in a 12v outlet?

Now that I have my chargeing system sorted out, I'm going to install a 12v outlet on my bike so I can charge my Phone while I use it as a GPS.

I'm wondering how I should wire it up?

It only draws about an amp, would It be Ok to splice into a wire thats switched by the ignition? Or do I have to mess with relays and all that?

Anyone else do this on here?

Use a continuity tester and probe for a SWITCHED hot wire..or use a wiring diagram if available. Wire in the hot wire to that hot wire in the harness with an inline fuse. Run the ground to any of the ground points that the harness uses or any other frame bolt thats close and available. Use ringlets on the ground end and solder the wire at the hot side connection. I love that liquid electrical tape for these types of things.

You want the plug to go dead when you shut off the key.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      Now that I have my chargeing system sorted out, I'm going to install a 12v outlet on my bike so I can charge my Phone while I use it as a GPS.

It only draws about an amp, would It be Ok to splice into a wire thats switched by the ignition? Or do I have to mess with relays and all that?

Anyone else do this on here?
      I wired mine directly to the battery through a fuse. That way you can also use the plug for a trickle charging receptacle. You will need about a 10 amp fuse for the charging surge, but if there is a lower value in the accessory plug that goes into the socket then you are OK.

You can get USB plugin sockets cheap on amazon/ebay then you can also charge your phone blue tooth headsets without having you engine running.

USB only draws about 1 amp max so no worry about drawing the battery down too far unless you leave the phone overnight.

Comment

Great idea on making it a multi use / trickle charger port Pos!!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I wired mine directly to the battery through a fuse. That way you can also use the plug for a trickle charging receptacle. You will need about a 10 amp fuse for the charging surge, but if there is a lower value in the accessory plug that goes into the socket then you are OK.

You can get USB plugin sockets cheap on amazon/ebay then you can also charge your phone blue tooth headsets without having you engine running.

USB only draws about 1 amp max so no worry about drawing the battery down too far unless you leave the phone overnight.
          Exactly. I use my battery tender connection, which is already fused. I wired a lighter socket to a two wire trailer connector and plugged a two socket USB connector into it.
          The whole setup goes in my tank bag...when I take off the tank back, I just unplug the connector.
          I charge our phones and cameras with it.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Exactly. I use my battery tender connection, which is already fused. I wired a lighter socket to a two wire trailer connector and plugged a two socket USB connector into it.
            The whole setup goes in my tank bag...when I take off the tank back, I just unplug the connector.
            I charge our phones and cameras with it.
            My accessory plug is on the handlebar so I can charge my phone or other while riding. I keep it in the tank bag and just plug in the handlebar plug.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              My accessory plug is on the handlebar so I can charge my phone or other while riding. I keep it in the tank bag and just plug in the handlebar plug.
              Just curious, does that work in the rain?
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have a + lead going from the battery positive, through a fuse and exterior toggle switch and then to the lighter socket.
                The - side connects directly from the battery negative to the socket.

I did this so I can turn it on or off with a switch, and use a battery tender easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

First, decide whether you want it "hot" all the time or switched with the key.

If you want it "hot" all the time, you might already have an ACC fuse in your fusebox, but we don't have a clue what bike you have, so we can't say for sure.

If you want it switched, there are two ways to go about it:
                  1. tap into the switched section of the fuse box, either ahead of, or downstream of, the three fuses.
                  If you go downstream of the fuses, you will have to decide which one you could live without, just in case your wiring happens to blow a fuse.
                  You will have to decide whether you can live without LIGHTS, SIGNALS or IGNITION.
                  2. tap into the switched section of the fuse box ahead of the fuses, but use that to trigger a relay.
                  The relay will then power the wire or socket that you install for charging.
                  This will isolate your charger from the rest of the bike's wiring and will not blow any fuses.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    First, decide whether you want it "hot" all the time or switched with the key.

If you want it "hot" all the time, you might already have an ACC fuse in your fusebox, but we don't have a clue what bike you have, so we can't say for sure.

If you want it switched, there are two ways to go about it:
                    1. tap into the switched section of the fuse box, either ahead of, or downstream of, the three fuses.
                    If you go downstream of the fuses, you will have to decide which one you could live without, just in case your wiring happens to blow a fuse.
                    You will have to decide whether you can live without LIGHTS, SIGNALS or IGNITION.
                    2. tap into the switched section of the fuse box ahead of the fuses, but use that to trigger a relay.
                    The relay will then power the wire or socket that you install for charging.
                    This will isolate your charger from the rest of the bike's wiring and will not blow any fuses.

Sorry I forgot to put my bike in my Signature, I have a GS450. Theres only 1 fuse.
                    I don't have a trickle charger, so I would like it switched by the ignition.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Comment

I wanted mine to be switched independently of the ignition so I could leave something charging while being away from the bike, so I added a weatherproof switch and an inline blade fuse to run mine. The LED shown was initially used as an on/off indicator but isn't there since I relocated it.

The switch is on my electrics tray out of sight so you need to know where it is to turn it on.

The aux power socket has a weatherproof cover and was initially mounted under/behind the electrics tray:

I since moved it to one of the bolts on the handlebar clamp as I found it was too awkward to run a lead from my camera all the way down to there. This is the only pic I have of the new location:

The one issue I have found is that the road vibration causes the 12v socket to USB power adaptor to vibrate loose after a while so I have to run some velcro around to hold it secure. I have just ordered a two port USB power adaptor and am waiting for it to arrive at the moment. I'm undecided as to whether this will replace the aux socket or compliment it.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        Just curious, does that work in the rain?
                        I think it is an outlet from a marine store so a little better quality and water is not a good enough conductor for much current to flow at 12V. However, I don't really ride much in the rain and and in any event it is behind a fairing.

Comment

Here is what I did. I just wired straight to the battery.

I used this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-12-Volt...315d0c&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                            Here is what I did. I just wired straight to the battery.

I used this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-12-Volt...315d0c&vxp=mtr
                            Thats a Nice set up!

Comment

Working...
                            X