2 Day Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Day Stator

I was warned that Electrosport had begun outsourcing production of their stators to China and that quality had been compromised. Here is the proof, My guess is that this took place after less than 30 miles of riding leaving me stranded with a dead battery. Obviously a manufacturing defect where the magnet wire and lead were soldered together. I'm extremely disappointed. The guy didn't give me any grief about sending a replacement, and I suppose I'll take it, but I'm not so sure I I want it.

That stinks bigtime! Been lots of reports of failing ES stators (with failing replacements too). I won't use one due to bad press. I just buy 30 year old used stators and give them a good lookover.

Not that it will help but. go to this link

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      That stinks bigtime! Been lots of reports of failing ES stators (with failing replacements too). I won't use one due to bad press. I just buy 30 year old used stators and give them a good lookover.

Not that it will help but. go to this link

http://www.genebitsystems.com/david/...torfailure.htm
      That was very good info to know Tom, thanks for that post.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Good opportunity to learn how to rewind your own stator and know for sure what you have when its done

Coated wire.
        Epoxy.
        Solder.
        Core.
        And about 3 hours.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          Good opportunity to learn how to rewind your own stator and know for sure what you have when its done

Coated wire.
          Epoxy.
          Solder.
          Core.
          And about 3 hours.
          I have a kit for sale in the For Sale section. For about the price of one stator, you can rewind at least 8-10 with this kit.

Comment

slightly related, have the r/r's from electrosports suffered the same quality faults as the stators? or do most people just find a mosfet style r/r?

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
              slightly related, have the r/r's from electrosports suffered the same quality faults as the stators? or do most people just find a mosfet style r/r?
              I'm unsure, but you can't go wrong with just about any used Shindengen R/R at their low prices.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

looks pinched mr. goodwrench

Seen similar situations like in the picture MANY MANY MANY--I should say it again, = many times. not just on GS engines but CBR, EX, XJ, XS, KZ, VN,VS,XV yeah a lot of electrical problems in the M/C world

I would bet a huge amount of money that it was improper installation and not the so called "sub standard" stator unit.

A little more attention to detail is necessary. Test fit 2 or 3 times before you just stuff it in there and start the engine. There are always clearance details that need to be adressed when a different core unit is re-installed.

or to put it simply 6 pounds of stuff in a 3 pound space - don't ruin the new one they give you.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Received the replacement today and upon a closer examination of the situation I'm quite certain that there is a flaw in fabrication of this stator. When bolted in place, in order for the lead to enter the channel and hold down clip in the cover, the lead would have to be folded out in the same spot where the solder joints are. This is how I installed it when it failed. I determined this orientation based on the bolt pattern, length of varglass sleeve, rubber plug, and remaining black sleeve. I don't remember having this issue with my old Electrosport stator. I am going to rotate the mounting 120 degrees, install a longer piece of varglass, and slide the plug back. This will allow the solder joints to remain straight and the turn to enter the channel and retainer will be made by the wires. The overall lead will get a little shorter and I may have to extend them to reach my RR connections, whatever it takes. Seems to me the solder joints should be closer to the stator itself which would land them under the retainer that is on the stator. Maybe the way it comes would work perfectly on another model, maybe its expected that it be modified before installed. See what happens

Comment

Working...
                  X