what is this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this???

It's from the back of the sppedometer on my 1980 1100. What is it and do I need it? I am replacing the 85mph with a 140 and the latter did not include this piece.

Just guess here, something to do with the auto cancel for the indicators maybe? Hopefully someone had a more accurate answer!

Comment

Appears to be a hard wired fusible link.
      Even though I had the covers off my gauge clusters for both my 85 and 140 speedometer to a '82 GS1100E I didn't notice anything like that, but I might've missed it, but it worked OK as a direct retrofit.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

It does appear to be a fuse, but for what and why put it in the speedo? No auto cancel signals.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
          It does appear to be a fuse, but for what and why put it in the speedo? No auto cancel signals.
          Lighting circuit?
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Dang it guys! I was going to tell him it was part of the transmogrifier, which had been removed.
            Yes, it appears to be a fusible link and no, you don't need it.

Comment

flux capaciter ? for when he hits 88 MPH
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

With my antique eyeballs it looks like a capsule with mercury in it.

Maybe an automatic self cancelling wheelie imobilizer?
                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                80 gs1000s

Comment

At first I suspected a self-refilling blinker fluid dispenser, since it is too small for a flux capacitor.
                  And no self-respecting motorcyclist (not biker, please) would want a wheelie imobilizer. That would be self-defeating.

Comment

According to the Clymer manual it is a distance sensor, Whatever that means.

Comment

It is a reed sensor. (Switch) A magnet in the speedo spins and this sensor is switched on and off as the magnet passes by.

This is the input to the self cancelling module for the turn signals.

Comment

Working...
                      X