R/R is toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R is toast?

I found a discharged battery a few weeks back and today finally had some time to look into it.

First thing I found was that the stator connections to the RR were a melted mess. These connectors were replaced at the same time the RR was, both preemptively, when I did most of the work to my bike about 2000 miles ago. RR is a SH530-12, bought used off ebay.

I replaced the connectors and started troubleshooting with the Stator papers on hand. Didn't get very far before finding problems.
    I get zero response on my multimeter when applying throttle. Same battery voltage at iddle than at 5000 rpm.

Fuses are fine. Red wire from RR to battery positive checks out, so does ground, and sense wire.

I guess that's it, right? Dead RR?

Thanks for your ideas.
    Andres

Not yet. You need to check the AC voltage out of the stator, prior to going to the R/R. The stator papers explain how to do this, including how to check for a short in the stator itself.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Not yet. You need to check the AC voltage out of the stator, prior to going to the R/R. The stator papers explain how to do this, including how to check for a short in the stator itself.
      Yes, the R/R can't rectify what ain't there. You must do the AC tests to prove the stator's output.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, you guys are right. I assumed that since the connections were melted there was output, but a check was on order.

Happy to report that AC voltage was withing range for all three leads.

Comment

Excellent. Now get a good quality used mosfet R/R or one of those new Polaris series R/Rs for less than $70 and you should be GTG. And be sure and try to figure out why the wires melted while you are waiting. There must be a reason; the A/C voltages on those wires remain constant.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Excellent. Now get a good quality used mosfet R/R or one of those new Polaris series R/Rs for less than $70 and you should be GTG. And be sure and try to figure out why the wires melted while you are waiting. There must be a reason; the A/C voltages on those wires remain constant.
            That's the plan, probably will go for those SH775 from the Polaris.

Wouldn't the wires have melted because of the RR failing? Thus leaving all heat to be dissipated by the stator's connections?

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
              That's the plan, probably will go for those SH775 from the Polaris.

Wouldn't the wires have melted because of the RR failing? Thus leaving all heat to be dissipated by the stator's connections?
              So, what you are suggesting is that all the power was dissipated by the AC side of the wiring harness? I guess that is possible, although I must admit I have never seen it happen before.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post

Happy to report that AC voltage was withing range for all three leads.
                Be wary of the AC test, stator is not producing any current (just enuff for meter) so it's not 100% conclusive, but it does help find a obvious shorted one.When the stator is actually loaded, magnetic forces tug at windings and strange things happen- like shorts. I'd be surprised if your Shindengen was at fault, possible,but connections would be more likely.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X