GS 750 Won't Kick Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 Won't Kick Over

New guy with a question. I bought a 1979 GS 750 yesterday. I rode it 60 miles home. I ran it around town all day, looking for issues, without a problem. It kicked over really well. It is kick start only.

Today it wont start. If I turn it off and stroke the kickstart a few times, then turn it on and kick it, it barely cathces. Once. Then nothing. This is South Florida and I'm too old to bump start it every day.

I bought this as an almost complete cafe racer, project bike. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks all. I'll post pictures soon as I can figure out where to load them.

start here -

and there you will find on how to post pictures as well

Wecome to the site

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. joe yang,

You haven't really given us enough information to effectively diagnose your starting issues. But I would look at the battery and charging system first. You'll find troubleshooting help on my little website. Does it have gas? Does it have spark? If you do not know the history then a full maintenance procedure should be performed. You'll find the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" below.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My bike has a circuit where it will not start unless clutch lever is pulled in, do not know if the older models had that or if you would need to do on a kick only bike.

Is the bike in gear?

If that is not the problem, try putting on prime for a count to fifteen and kick.
        Do not forget to take it off prime as left on on a bike that is not running could lead to problems.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yang View Post
          New guy with a question. I bought a 1979 GS 750 yesterday. I rode it 60 miles home. I ran it around town all day, looking for issues, without a problem. It kicked over really well. It is kick start only.

Today it wont start. If I turn it off and stroke the kickstart a few times, then turn it on and kick it, it barely cathces. Once. Then nothing. This is South Florida and I'm too old to bump start it every day.

I bought this as an almost complete cafe racer, project bike. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks all. I'll post pictures soon as I can figure out where to load them.
          Joe,
          Welcome to GSR.

You say almost complete cafe racer, project. Do you mean the bike is almost complete stocks now and you intned to cafe it? What I am asking, in order to help troubleshoot it with you is, is it stock now?

I suspect is not stock, because a 79 GS750 should have electric starter motor and kickstart.

WHat is the idea of kicking a few times with ignition off? Purposly trying to "flood" it?

You have a volt meter? Have you checked batery voltage? Even with a kick start, will still need enough battery voltage to operate the ignition.
          You have a small b attery charger? Put on the charger for a couple hours and see if that makes a difference.

Tell us more.

Last edited by Redman; 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

79 750 doesnt have the clutch safety switch..but i was wondering where the starter is?? Is it in the sump and its just not working or did the PO demo it ?
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Joe,

Something else: Would be good for you jto put your gneral location in your profile. And put you year and model in signature line. Got UserCP to do that. Then those things show up in every post.

Maybe some GSR member might be near by and willing to help.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A correction...I was thinking of my 78 that didnt have the clutch safety switch...I see his is a 79. But still should have electric start. Possibly hit the kill switch while jumping on the lever???
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
                  My bike has a circuit where it will not start unless clutch lever is pulled in, do not know if the older models had that or if you would need to do on a kick only bike.
                  I believe that the clutch switch only affects the operation of the electric starter.
                  He says that it's "kick only", so I don't think that is the problem.

My guess would be the usual culprits, carb cleaning and valve adjustment.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you holding the clutch in while kicking it , I am not sure but some bikes won't kick over if you hold the clutch in .
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Where are you at in Florida... might be close enough to help.
                      David
                      1998 Suzuki Bandit
                      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                      1978 GS1000 - gone
                      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Thanks From a New Guy

I'll get pictures up, update my personal data, etc ASAP. I work 13 hour days at a power plant in Jensen Beach. I can't do much online through the LAN, less through my phone. Thanks for the welcoming advice. I want to get this bike up and riding in the little free time I have.

It ran well, all day when I rode it home. That includes multiple starts and stops. As I got it it was cut down to ride solo. The starter is gone. It has a headlight, taillight and license plate light, no more. It has custom wiring. The battery is under the seat. That is the first place I will look, then the carbs

I wouldn't have cut the bike up. It was well done. I was looking for a late model GSXR. I fell in love with the bike. I just plan to clean it up and run it like it is.

Comment

We can't help until we know what's going on.

Just to clarify...you literally Just bought this bike?
                          And to clarify again...the kickstarter is slipping? Or do you mean the engine is barely firing up?

-----
                          Quick check list.

-How many volts at the battery?
                          -kill switch set to Run?
                          -are you getting spark?
                          -fuel in float bowls?

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Sorry if I am not making myself clear. I'm going to work on the bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X