what R/R for 1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mad Mark View Post
    think i should just get one of those you guys posted on ebay? im dying not being able to ride.
    No need to think- get a cheap Shindengen now; you can always upgrade later!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

think i should just get one of those you guys posted on ebay? im dying not being able to ride.
      I used a 5 dollar Ebay Shindengen 232 and my charging system has been working great for a year.
      I just followed these instructions

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

I like ZX shinnengen units

I really like to use the late 80S and 90's kawasaki ZX series R&R - only thing to watch is the the amp hour of the system R&R comes from -- any thing with a Perment Magnetic System charging system and over a 14AH battery. -- it gets very-very hot if you use a EX 500 or CB650 or something smaller than the GS - well,they all get hot from gating EMF off to ground but smaller ones melt.

the mount is common and plug in is very solid .. but it is a matter of preference.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          No need to think- get a cheap Shindengen now; you can always upgrade later!
          i got that one you linked me to thanks guys and thanks for finding that Tom really appreciate it. now i just got to wait till it gets here and test to make sure its good and if it isnt im out 12 bucks

Comment

Three Shindengens have been tested by me and passed along- I'd guess they are hard to kill. I tortured one last summer with a bad stator and it didn't care. Make sure you have good connections and then TEST !
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I run a mid 2000's GSXR-600 R&R in any GS that needs a replacement. I paid $35 plus shipping. It was used out of a bike with less then 15k miles on it. It's meant for high draw for the GSX-R's are Fuel Infected. Over 22k miles and still counting on my GS 750 no issues with the R&R.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

okay so i received the shindengen the other day and went about diode testing it. its a 6 wire.

please bare with me as im going off my confusing notes i took as i was going along.

diode test to + RR output wire.

+ meter to + output - to stator wires

no reading or 1 on my meter

- meter to + output + to stator wires

1. 561
                2. 544

diode test to - RR output wire.

same as above when + - are reversed no reading to + +

1. 548
                2. 556
                3. 558

(this is what my meter reads out as on diode test which isnt the same as the stator papers where there is a decimal) these where done just with the RR alone no link to the bike(is that right?) do these check out?

whats next to check on the RR? sorry for asking so many questions i did alot of research last night and my brain is melting from all this electrical stuff.

thanks.

Comment

It's a miracle- those readings are good! Install on bike, make sure you have good direct(or almost) ground connection to battery negative and a good spot for sense wire. Review Basscliff's tips- no duct tape please!
                  Test before heading off into sunset and test again after a decent ride- after your stator heats up, cuz this is the best test!
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    It's a miracle- those readings are good! Install on bike, make sure you have good direct(or almost) ground connection to battery negative and a good spot for sense wire. Review Basscliff's tips- no duct tape please!
                    Test before heading off into sunset and test again after a decent ride- after your stator heats up, cuz this is the best test!
                    cool thanks tom. what test do i do before and after a ride?

Comment

You must have seen this simple test procedure courtesy of posplayr

After good ride, check voltages again; you might have to fiddle with sense wire location, but probably not.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

okay one more thing, everyone says the black wire is the sense wire, and the green is ground. i could only get a reading off the black wire which is the same gauge as the positive. and what im guessing is the sense wire is the same gauge as the stator wires but its brown.

and im sure its not faded i cut away shrink wrap and the wires look the same where the wrap was... just cleaner.

can i get a reading off the sense wire like i posted above?

Comment

okay nevermind just looked it up, on kawi RR brown is sense and black is neg. got scared for a second there with everyone saying black is sense,

Comment

do i go off the orange wire coming out of the tail light switch for the sense wire?

Comment

okay got it all hooked up and everything seems good. rode around the block and the bike seems better then ever! i can finally ride again!

thank you guys so much i could never have done this with out GSR and you guys to help me out!

Comment

okay got it all hooked up and everything seems good. rode around the block and the bike seems better then ever! i can finally ride again!

thank you guys so much i could never have done this with out GSR and you guys to help me out!
                                That's great but make sure you check things after a long ride! if the sense wire connection at brake switch "reads" too low a voltage, your battery might be being overcharged (> 15 volts)
                                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                                X