Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to pull the battery....Help!

Hey Guys,

I'm relatively new to my 82' GS1100E. My battery is seriously dead. The trickle charger won't charge it at all. It won't even turn over. I hooked it up to my car battery charger....I have a 12 volt batter, and a 12 volt charger. But it's only drawing about 1-2 amps from the charger.

I'd like to pull the battery...but I'm not sure how. I pulled the can off the right side, popped the seat and loosened the two hex blots on top of the airbox. I then loosened the stuff (very technical term) on the right side of the bike and moved it out of the way so I could slide the airbox out, but no dice.

Exactly how is the best way to get the battery out? I've seen a few websites (like Cliff's) but those aren't very helpful for an 1100E...any help and or suggestions would be helpful.

Regards,

Matt (aka Kopio)

I wrote down the procedure here once. It was about 15 steps. Maybe the EZBoyez will collectively talk ya through it. Ill start....

Take off the seat and side covers.

Take off the gas tank (yes really). Undo the fuel and vac hose from the petcock. Disconnect the fuel float wires. There are a couple bullet connectors to do this by the airbox. Black & Black/yellow wires.

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the front seat support to the frame and remove the support.
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Remove the top airbox screws

Loosen the band clamp on the front of the airbox. Ill usually loosen both clamps and hope one will pop off.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I always kept the gas tank on, and just removed the four bolts from the front seat support. You can then lift up the rear of the gas tank and prop it up with a short piece of board under the front seat support. Then pull the rear airbox off and you can get to the battery. In order to remove the rear airbox, you need to remove the clamp holding the rear brake reservoir to the frame so you can make clearance for the airbox to come off.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

Good points jpaul. Keep em coming guys......

I just like to have the tank outa the way when it comes time to fight the boot back on between the front and rear airboxes. For me this has been the hardest part of the procedure. I like to wipe a little armour-all on the inside of the boot to get it on the airbox easier.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Thanks for the helpful tips guys....let me know if you have any more insights.

I like the idea of NOT having to take the whole tank off....I'm green enough at mechanical stuff I'd be afraid I wouldn't get it all back together right!

Comment

Don't fear the tank removal. I just did it, and the advice above is spot on. Just remember which hoses and wires go where and you'll be fine.

The airbox comes right out with a little twisting.

I had my old battery out in about fifteem minutes.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

I just pushed the tank up out of the way with the help of my 17 year old and pulled the airbox right out.

Got the battery right out...it was bone dry. Got it hooked up to the charger right now...hoping to take her out tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,

-Matt (aka kopio)

Comment

If your battery is dry chances are you are overcharging.
                  Ground the R/R to the frame and negative battery terminal.
                  Get a multimeter and check the charging while running. Use the solenoid for the positive and the frame for ground.
                  Check the stator papers on the home page of this site.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                    I always kept the gas tank on, and just removed the four bolts from the front seat support. You can then lift up the rear of the gas tank and prop it up with a short piece of board under the front seat support. Then pull the rear airbox off and you can get to the battery. In order to remove the rear airbox, you need to remove the clamp holding the rear brake reservoir to the frame so you can make clearance for the airbox to come off.
                    I've pulled my battery many times, I did it exactly the way as explained above except I stuck a small box under the tank in the back to keep the tank clear. I did remove both frame covers and it's the right frame cover to get to the rear master cylinder clamp and I loosened the clamp that holds the air cleaner box. 10 minutes max. Utmost care is required to make sure you don't break any of those fragile frame cover tabs.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X