Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the Starter Motor.

Hello,

Alright this is my first post I tried looking up my problem before hand but ran into some dead ends. I'm now reaching out to you guys and gals for some help.

The problem at hand is a broken line that leads to the hole under the starter motor WHAT is that line and WHERE does that hole lead to? I have a photo of the empty starter motor home.(don't mind the dirt my cleaning is actually what broke it, silly me.)

Any help is appreciated.
    My bike is a 1980 GS1000G. It's my first Motorcycle and I'm in LOVE.

hi and welcome. that is just a drain hole to allow any oil/water/petrol etc to drain out from the starter area. the pipe underneath it is not really neseccary but you can refit one if you want.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The "mystery hole" (you would find it in a forum search if you looked for that term) under the starter is just a drain for any water or oil that might collect in that cavity.

The only think I can think of for the wire is that it's a ground??? The case should be grounded, and that's how the starter gets its ground. Is it a wire or a hose? Maybe a vent of some sort? My bike doesn't have one but it's not the same model. I don't have a post like that sticking up from my crank case that I can recall

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GoodGS1000GUY,

Yep, it's just the "mystery hole", only a drain. You'll see the exit under the case. Since the breather system for the crankcase empties into the starter cavity, it's there just in case the crankcase oil overflows. For more information about your bike, hit the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by GoodGS1000GUY View Post
          Hello,

The problem at hand is a broken line that leads to the hole under the starter motor WHAT is that line......

Welcome to GSR.

As others have said: the hole is a drain hole.

That line is a hose Coming from the crankcase breather (#51).
          It doesnt have to go into that hole, just pointed somewhat past the starter.

Last edited by Redman; 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Actually that's the vent hose from the secondary gear case. That large plug at the bottom of your pic is the fill plug for the secondary gear case. Looks like it's been vicegrip torqued. It drains through the mystery hole. Replace it with any small tubing that you can find to fit. It just sticks down in that hole.

Buddy
            Last edited by Buddy; 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM.
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm glad it was a smaller problem than I imagined.

This site rocks I'm sure to be back with another question soon.

I just recently switched the O-rings on the carbs. thanks to this site and Basscliffs site it was a breeze.

I will be sure and post pics soon.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                Actually that's the vent hose from the secondary gear case. ..........Buddy
                AH, hence why some folks recogized it and others didnt. Is on shaftys only.

(and I mis-stated when I said "crankcase" breather).

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                X