Due diligence wasn't enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update...

I received the return label and parts are on their way back.

Dan; thanks for the suggestion. I have purchased many parts from Z1. They are very helpful and are extremely prompt in their pick, pack and ship. I look there first when I need parts.

Rick

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      I think you will find that their [Caltric] parts are made in China or Taiwan.
      Most likely. But they are pretty local to me and I like getting a decent part at a decent price. But I would pay $20 more for a quality stator if I knew it was manufactured in the U.S. I don't think any are.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Dan; thanks for the suggestion. I have purchased many parts from Z1. They are very helpful and are extremely prompt in their pick, pack and ship. I look there first when I need parts.
        Looks like Z1 carries Ricks Stators for the GS bikes.

Comment

there is a thread around here somewhere that links to a place that rewinds stators here in the states, i'll try to find it....might be the answer you're looking for.

greg
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

here ya go, rewind sources at the end.

Comment

or, if you are too lazy to read, here you are again:

Comment

or, if you are too lazy to read, here you are again:
                Really Greg ????

Thanks for your second post anyway....I will call them in the morning.

Comment

i wasnt trying to be sarcastic, just helping you out. nevermind.
                  greg

Comment

here is another possibility for you:

Kevin Mayer at Motorcycle Electrical Services in Nederland, CO (303-258-0213)

apparently he has rewound honda stators for some guys on another forum i'm on.

greg

Comment

Thank you Greg, I appreciate your taking the time to find this information.

I do not really mean to be such a stickler in this but I hate to redo things once I have fixed them. I am old enough to have lived through, and paid the price, of Japan going through their learning curve while they developed their manufacturing prowess. I am not willing to pay the price while China tries to reinvent the process when all they need do is read history and realize...hey that country already tried that and it had a bad result. Soooo I will continue to look to buy from other places than China. I understand this may cost more in the short term but...long term it looks very promising for me.

Ok off my soap box and back to work. Spring riding will be here before I know it.

Comment

I doubt that anyone feels more disgusted with Chinese manufactured parts than me- I worked in manufacturing for 40 years and witnessed its death spiral at the hands of short sighted/profit driven B-school grads. But it's a done deal. The machine that wound your original stator in 1982 likely was sold to the Chinese 15 years later (lost its high tech luster) and is still producing today. My fear is the quality of magnet wire-a very specialized product; even a USA winder would be tempted to opt for the low cost stuff from you know where.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm going to be a bit controversial (maybe).

Some (a lot) of the stuff now coming in from China is decent quality. For the most part they worked out that selling the west cr*p at a very cheap price only gets you so far and if you want to keep going you have to make the stuff better quality. They can still make the stuff cheaper because of cheaper labour etc.

I would use a Chinese stator if it felt and looked ok. However, I would be a bit p!ssed if I had asked the question about where the thing was made and would not appreciate being misinformed.

If you want to avoid cr*p then avoid stuff made in India I'm afraid. They're making a lot of repro stuff for old British bikes in particular and in general the quality is appalling.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I bought a new Rick's stator last spring, for my GS1000. On a hunch, I dug out the box yesterday, and labeled clearly on the side is "MADE IN USA".

Perhaps some models are imported and some are domestic?
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The OEM parts seem to last well.
                              I have 70 K on one unit that has yet to fail.

I have no clue what BC is doing to his.

Comment

Working...
                              X