Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to dump in trash

Fellow GS'rs,
    let me start off with giving you details on my bike: 1982 GS550L with 1,550 original miles.
    Ok i bought it last summer and had it completely gone thru since it was sitiing for 20+ years. Rebuilt carbs, changed intake boots, irridium sparks, oil change, air filter and checked timing and valves. All done. Bike started and after it warmed up it ran good. Put it away for 2 months and that's when all hell broke loose. I have flipped over backwards to get this thing to run again and have not had any luck! I mean she won't even run for 10 seconds. Brand new battery, compression is a bit low im only reading aroun 100psi on 2 and 3 120psi on 1 and around 70 on 4. From what i was told its enough to get a bike started at least and run in most cases (i mean she ran before) I have had the carbs out 25 times in the last month if i clean and adjust them again im gunna have to repaint them Starting fluid does not touch it, meaning it wont do anything and i even spray inside the engine. Spark is nice and blue and when i put my hand behind the engine and crank it it sucks the air in so i know thats not the issue. Guys any help would be greatly appreciate it! Im getting ready to junk it and its a nice bike all stock and original. It will not even backfire or anything. It will give me a sign of trying to start for a sec and thats it i can crank for hours and nothing. Please guys! Thanks

Set the petcock on PRI and wait for about a minute, full choke, do NOT twist the throttle, and crank it. If the airbox is off, then lay one layer of Tshirt material across the intake throats of the carbs for some restriction. report back what happens then. If it starts, leave it running with some choke till its warm and will idle on its own.

Place a fan or two in front of the engine blowing across the fins on the highest speed.

Leave it running and add about 1/4 can of Seafoam or B12 Chemtool to the gas and let it idle for a while to get the cleaner into the carbs and running thru them.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OHHH. And once its running swing the petcock back to the ON position.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Where are you?

If you are close enough, I will stop by and save you the trouble of taking it to the dump.

You have the title? I will need it to take it to the dump.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply,
          Chuck hahn, my prime is not working not sure why but i can see the thingy pumping gas down the fuel line when i crank. I actually did what you just said (obviously without the petcock being in prime position oh and a shirt of course) but i did have my hand on each intake boot and when i crank it it acts like a vacuum but it will not start for the life of me. I think im wearing down the starting gear.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2013, 12:22 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Where are you?

If you are close enough, I will stop by and save you the trouble of taking it to the dump.

You have the title? I will need it to take it to the dump.

And if he doesn't live close enough ill take it off your hands for ya.

Comment

Well...if you had your hand over the carb intakes and you felt it sucking then you have OVER choked it and flooded the engine and it will not start that way. Do JUST what i told you. Its getting gas so skip the PRI position.

You can jump it off a car battery but DO NOT have the car running. Just set things up like i said and start it.

to UNFLOOD it, pull the plugs and crank it a few times to dry out the cylinders..or just let it sit over night. Letting it sit over night will also allow the battery charger to refresh the battery.

Comment

Chuck Hahn, i apologize i misunderstood you said behind the carbs, ok i also did that with my hand and nothing happens when i put my hand behind the airbox and crank, i felt no vacuum at all and im sure its suppsed to suck air from there since the filter is behind it. Thanks

Comment

When you removed your hand it was wet with gas wasnt it. Thus the over choking has occured. You may have to pull the plugs anyways to dry them off now. Pull one at a time and heat it up with a propane torch and then clean them up a bit with a rag and some carb spray. the starter fluid will also work as a cleaning agent.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-26-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Swap your plug leads between 1-2 and 3-4?

Comment

You have a couple of offers to transport that thing to the dump.

If you are not interested, at least post your location, one of us might be close enough to help you fix it, not transport it.
                      I ride many bikes.
                      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

lets back up..is the airbox installed or not? you didnt give the details in your original post. what is the configuration as it sits right now?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Well...if you had your hand over the carb intakes and you felt it sucking then you have OVER choked it and flooded the engine and it will not start that way. Do JUST what i told you. Its getting gas so skip the PRI position.

You can jump it off a car battery but DO NOT have the car running. Just set things up like i said and start it.

to UNFLOOD it, pull the plugs and crank it a few times to dry out the cylinders..or just let it sit over night. Letting it sit over night will also allow the battery charger to refresh the battery.
                          I cannot begin to tell you how many times i have left her sit for a few days thinking she's flooded and still no luck. Sparks are not even wet like that. I would also think she'd backfire if she was flooded? I really have no need for a car jump (yet) my battery is new and its on a tender even when i crank.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            lets back up..is the airbox installed or not? you didnt give the details in your original post. what is the configuration as it sits right now?
                            Yes, mine has the plastic box with boots behind the carb and behind that box is the actual filter in a metal box with a lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                              Swap your plug leads between 1-2 and 3-4?
                              Hi, i did that i swapped the ignition coil wires to try it and still nothing not even a backfire, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X