Getting ready to dump in trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    How well do the float needles slide in the seats? Sometimes gripping the seat with pliers can egg them out a bit and hang up the needles..either partly open or wont let them fall and open enough. May be worth seeing if theres any restrictions there too.
    I was going to mention that also Chuck it's funny you brough it up but yes the seats are a bit mishaped now that i have removed them so many times but i always make sure i set the needle in the best position then i flip the carbs and make sure it falls freely. My stepdad said the same thing he said it wants to run but it fouls the plugs immediately. Another thing i should mention the plungers for the choke are sliding quite a bit out not sure if thats normal cause im looking at the manual and the photo shows them almost hallway in from mine and full opening. I can snap a pic tomorrow and post it so i can show you. I mean they actually hit the carb body thats how much they stretch out. ??

Comment

Does that bike have the cable choke pull? Is it routed so there is just a tad of slack at the end the cable connects to the carbs? Can you slacken up the cable as you watch the choke plungers and see if they move shut any with some slack? They may be hung up as well.

As for egged seats..even though you set the needles in where they do the best doesnt cut it..they still move around and can get hung up. See why i want to have them in my hands now?? Theres too much that is acting in concert with other factors that creating a perfect storm.

Wish i had some CV donors..i would send you good seats. All I have is VMs though.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Does that bike have the cable choke pull? Is it routed so there is just a tad of slack at the end the cable connects to the carbs? Can you slacken up the cable as you watch the choke plungers and see if they move shut any with some slack? They may be hung up as well.

As for egged seats..even though you set the needles in where they do the best doesnt cut it..they still move around and can get hung up. See why i want to have them in my hands now?? Theres too much that is acting in concert with other factors that creating a perfect storm.

Wish i had some CV donors..i would send you good seats. All I have is VMs though.
        it is the cable choke. Yes there's a bit of slack but it cracks them open a lot. I have a buddy with an 850L and he's do not open that much. Should i replace the springs inside? I'll try one more time adjusting the carbs tomorrow if anything i'll ship them out to you and i will reimburse you for all your trouble Chuck.

Comment

Plungers do open a good bit. The issue is do they close all the way. Do a simple test. Lift them with your finger about 1/3 an inch and let them snap shut. Next push on them to see if they close any more...which I suspect they will not.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

See if you can get all 4 good seats to send with them if you decide to do that route. We can save the old girl pretty easily i think.

Comment

I had a fouling issue on my #4 at one point, which would cause the bike to die. It was a combination of weak ignition (did you check the voltage at the coils vs. the volts at the battery?) and a boogered o-ring around the #4 seat. Make sure you lube the o-rings before you push the seats in.

One thing that helped in diagnosis for me was to put the carbs flat on a bench with some blocks to hold them up. I hooked up a graduated syringe, sans plunger, to the fuel line and poured gas through that until the bowls were full and the fuel level in the syringe was near the top of the graduated marks. I was able to observe the rate the fuel level was dropping, and eventually got #4 to drip a bit out of the throttle body.

On the choke (and please mind, I have an 82 so I don't have a choke pull, but a lever under the left hand control and the whole cable setup is a bit different): yes, when the choke on my 550 is completely engaged, the ends of the choke plunger are pretty darned near to touching the next carb. What I have noticed is that there really isn't any difference in effect for about the last 1/3rd of the lever travel. Basically I think once those plungers are out to a certain point, opening them more doesn't let more fuel/air in. What is most important is that, as Chuck pointed out, there is some slack when the choke is in the fully off position so you're not leaving any of the plungers open.

Comment

Put an add in the parts wanted section..I am sure someone has good ones for you. Parts fiche shows they are still available a sets..a needle and seat per set.

Comment

Mike yes mine has the same lever thingy below the left control switches with a cable on them. When i push it back yes they close all the way in. With the float bowl fill i use the clear hose method and its usually right on the line but i have not done that since last time i adjusted the floats i practically dropped them all the way down since i thought fuel was the issue. The seats, well after i replaced them and have taken them out so many times those o-rings got ripped after awhile so i used some that i bought at harbor freight, now they were a bit snug but i tap them in with a rubber mallet and they go in hence thats how i messed up the shape on the seats when i pull them out again Chuck im really starting to think those seats may not be for my bike but ill try setting the float levels one more time tomorrow and if that doesnt do it they're all yours.

Comment

Mike..he states the bike is also an 82 550L. But yours doesnt have a cable pull choke but his does? I have been going off the parts fiche and maybe i need to relook again as to how the choke is set up on the fiches!! But he does say he has the cable setup.

Comment

Mike..he states the bike is also an 82 550L. But yours doesnt have a cable pull choke but his does? I have been going off the parts fiche and maybe i need to relook again as to how the choke is set up on the fiches!! But he does say he has the cable setup.
                      Yes sir its a little lever below the left hand controld with a cable on it almost like a throttle cable.

Comment

Yup that is the stock OEM setup.

Babbits has the sets new ....Number 49 here.

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542

Comment

Yup that is the stock OEM setup.

Babbits has the sets new ....Number 49 here.

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...uretor-model-z
                          Thanks Chuck. Ok im pulling the carbs out tomorrow and will order those things tomorrow night.

Comment

Well, and here I thought he had an 81 . That's what happens to one's mind on the other side of 40 I guess... Same carbs really, but the choke/throttle setup is a bit different, and I think I prefer the 82 setup so, good!

You already know I was skeptical about the new needles you got from the dealer. I have at least one needle/seat set I can send to you, or to Chuck if you send the carbs his way - complete with one new-in-baggie Robert Barr seat O-ring! The needle shows a little ring in the light, but honestly I can't snag a nail on it or feel it at all. It was on either #1 or #2 carb, which were not fouling but did show a slight wetness sometimes on the bowl (after being parked, of course on the downhill carbs...). Like #4 that may have been an O-ring issue, but I ended up replacing them. I might have another but I'll have to wait until morning to check my other parts box.

Comment

Here ya go..and a good price per set too!!!!

Comment

Well, that works too. Get Mikes stuff and just buy what else youll need and send them to me. I will redip them and start right from scratch. I can scrub up the bodies and get them pretty decent looking too for you. something like these..For my gs 1000 projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X