which dyna pickup/coils do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which dyna pickup/coils do i need?

Ive got a '79 gs1000L with the old points not cutting the mustard. I want to get an electronic setup. What model dyna s do I need? Is there any other option besides dyna s for my bike?

I have some yellow accel coils with 8mm suppression wires, too. Im not sure what resistance they are since the stickers are missing. Is there any way to tell what I have without getting a multimeter? Should I use the suppression wires and accel coils or will the factory stuff work well with a dyna s pickup?

Thanks a ton. Sorry for throwing 150 questions out in one thread.

The yellow Accel coils are 3 Ohm, which is what you want with the Dyna-S. I have heard of issues of fitment with them, but I have no actual experience. I use them on my GPz and they are just dandy.
    You want the DS3-2 if your bike has the ND ignition; the DS3-1 if it has the KD ignition.
    You want the suppression wires if you run non-suppression plugs, copper core wires if you run suppression plugs. (There is an R in the name of the plug.)
    With your current Accel coil setup, just run the standard plugs.

Comment

Thanks Koolaid.

I wasnt entirely clear with my first post. I have both the stock coils/wires and accel yellow coils with yellow 8mm suppression wires. I have only stock NGK plugs, however.

The stock wires are bonded to the stock coils, so if I run the accel coils I will need to buy either suppression plugs or copper core wires.

Would you suggest I run an all-stock coil/wire/plug setup or is it worth it to buy suppression plugs so I can use with my suppression wires and accel coils. Alternatively, I could buy copper core wires to use with my NGK plugs and the accel coils.

Thanks for your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X