78 gs1000 / harley wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000 / harley wiring harness

i have a bobber/chopper/whatever with a 78 GS1000 motor. i have the electronic ignition from a an 81 GS850 on there and the R/R from some older Honda with 5 wires. I have attached a schematic for a wiring harness I found for super cheap. Only problem is it is a Harley harness... Does anyone see any issues with using a Harley harness on a metric bike? Both have two coils I think. Everything else seems to be somewhat similar. I only have a head light, ignition switch, tail lights and necessary wiring for coils and R/R and stuffs. I'd love to pick up a harness for 85 bucks!

thx guys.

You'd probably find it easier (and lots cheaper) to get a used harness from a gs550,or 650, or 750,or 850- lots on ebay and they ain't much good to strippers. The connections would be easier, unless you were opting for minimal bobber wiring.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

For $85, you can make your own and not have to worry about trying to adapt.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well i made my own and it just such a pain in the ass to trace this voltage leak. to the point where i would spend 85 dollars no problem. and as for a stock harness, none of my electronics have stock wire connectors and half of them are not even from a suzuki. the r/r is from a honda, the coils just have the wires, stator is just spliced wires. it would be the equal headache of buing a compact harness but less streamline.

i'm just trying to confirm that the coils really will work. short of that i think i can make the rest work. and i like the flashing led problem diagnosis as well.

thanks.

Comment

Connecting stator to R/R and R/R to battery is easy peasy. Igntion coil connections depend on whose system and type that you are using- that's why I suggested the stock harness,cuz the layout would be easier to follow and you could just cut out the stuff that you didn't need.Best to update all the needed connectors.
          Ignition coils are easy to test and usually very durable. Tracing electrical faults reguires patience.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X