Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

embarrassing to ask... (GS750 headlight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

embarrassing to ask... (GS750 headlight)

My headlight burned out. I have blown 3 headlight fuses in the past few months, and this time when it went out the fuse was still good. The high and low beams are both out, and I figured that if it was just a simple burned out bulb, that only the high OR low would go (like a dual filament kind of deal). So I took a multi meter to the harness and found that both the high and low beam are in fact getting power. I guess that means it is the bulb...

So....

Where can I find one? Is a motorbike headlight bulb a pretty generic item? That's how new I am (this is my first bike and I'm just a kid!)

I have a 1980 GS750L and when I searched for the headlight via google and eBay, I got lost in the results. A few online stores brought up a huge list of parts that will fit my bike, but no headlights (or actually any bulbs). So maybe it is such a generic item that searching "1980 GS750 headlight bulb" doesn't bring up specific enough results for me...

Sorry to bug you..

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

a wonderful means of a lookup indicates an H4 bulb whic readily available just about everywhere.

yields:

Comment

OH and you are wasting money on the headlamps until you get the electrical problems figured out.

Comment

Hi,

Burning out headlamps usually means that your bike is over-charging.

The H4 bulb is available at any auto parts store. I usually get the Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulb for about $20 or so. They've got great white light.

Have a look at the *Electrical Section* of my little website.

Be careful when you install it. DO NOT touch the bulb. Any residue from fingers will cause hot spots and they will burn out quicker. Vibration can cause premature death of the headlamp. Make sure all the rubber bits in the headlight bucket are in place and are not hard. Make sure the carbs are synch'd and the valves are adjusted to have a smooth running engine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since it is pretty clear you have charging issues, I suggest the following:
          Purchase an inexpensive H4 bulb.
          Troubleshoot and repair the charging issue. You may lose another bulb or two while troubleshooting.
          Once the charging issue is resolved, purchase a high quality bulb such as BassCliff suggests and keep the other as a spare (just in case).
          I always carry a spare bulb with me, you never know when it may burn out and leave you sightless.

Comment

If you can't find an H4 bulb, you can substitute a 9003 bulb, which is found EVERYWHERE.

Yes, there are differences, get the H4, if you can.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I was really embarrassed to ask about this. I've never even changed a headlight in my car (but I did replace my clutch, once).

This bike has been having the most annoying electrical issues. When I bought it, the seller mentioned a charging problem. So I knew that would need fixing right away. After the initial tune up and carb rebuild (following the guides on this forum) I was having idle problems that we thought were fuel mixture related, but turned out to be battery/charge related (headlight on, rough idle- headlight off, smooth idle), along with a randomly dead battery. We replaced the regulator (which had melted wires coming off of it) and followed the stator wiring suggestions mentioned all over this forum, replaced the battery after there were still operating issues but the multi meter was reading plenty of charge going on, and eventually got the thing humming again. Then a turn signal bulb went out (as I type this I realize it was probably due to this same over-charging issue) and I learned that none of my signals work when one bulb goes out. Then I blew a headlight fuse 3 times (I keep a pocket in my riding jacket full of replacement fuses, now). Now the headlight bulb blows...

I guess I'm going to go search around here to find out what's causing this over-charging...

Comment

You know what, I did put some aftermarket turn signals on the bike- maybe the impedance is wrong, so there is too much juice flowing from my charging system... Can the over-charging be cause by that? Incorrect impedance?

Comment

The electrical problems are an inherent part of owning a GS.
                  Go through the electrical troubleshooting guide on BC's website.

Comment

Yup what Jeeprusty said, buy yourself a multimeter read over the GS Stator papers and other electrical advice and hunt that bugger down. You are going to be inspecting connections, cleaning/replacing burned out connections and cleaning/adding some extra grounding points. The big deal is testing the stator and the R/R. Most likely they need replacing, it's almost a given on the GS bikes. We have all been there...
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Overcharging can be caused by poor connections, but it is almost always caused by the Regulator portion of the Regulator/Rectifier failing to regulate. Lots of recommendations for them here, lots to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                      X