Battery Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Problem?

New here. Recently bought a 1978 GS750E. I'm trying to get it to fire up but I have no power. Charged the battery, no luck. Used a good battery from a Sportster, no luck. Used my car battery to jump the bike, no luck. Here's the weird part. With the fresh battery and even the car battery, the starter button is dead, no headlight etc. When I bridge the terminals on the selenoid, the engine barely cranks over. At a loss, the bike fired up last week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

it sounds like you need to check ALL your connections are clean and tight and check your fuses
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Satx750,

It sounds like you have a lot of maintenance to do. This will help:

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Satx said..."when I bridge the terminals on the selenoid, the engine barely cranks over. At a loss, the bike fired up last week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. "

Since it was running and now suddenly struggles to crank, check for gas leaking out of carbs and filling a cylinder causing lockup.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check your main battery ground. The factory part was wimpy to begin with. That's where I started, replacing it with a # 4 AWG wire. Corrosion and broken strands under the battery terminals can cause that behavior, then work your way through the rest of the harness, fuse box and switches. If shorting the solenoid barely turns it over, you are loosing power before it gets there or the starter is going bad. If that's the case it will most likely be getting real hot.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Satx said..."when I bridge the terminals on the selenoid, the engine barely cranks over. At a loss, the bike fired up last week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. "

Since it was running and now suddenly struggles to crank, check for gas leaking out of carbs and filling a cylinder causing lockup.
            he did say he has lost ALL electrics.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi,

The main ground strap runs from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the underside of the rear of the crankcase. Make sure that is clean and tight. But in general, yes, go over the entire wiring harness, check and clean all grounds and connectors. Take off the fuel tank and side covers so you can really get a good visual inspection. Once you have the wiring harness cleaned up, move on to the other maintenance items necessary for a 30 year old motorcycle.

Fusebox Cleanup

Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

How To Repair Your Wiring Harness

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                he did say he has lost ALL electrics.
                Sure, but he also doubled up on battery power and it "barely cranked over" with solenoid jumped- no electrics needed!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Sure, but he also doubled up on battery power and it "barely cranked over" with solenoid jumped- no electrics needed!
                  if it was a hydraulic lock up it wouldn't crank at all! barely cranking indicates cranking very slowly to me........
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

I have no fuse box?

Thank you all for your input. I started to inspect the loom. Looks like the previous owner spliced in some wires, all red colored, and removed the fuse box. Thinking about finding a complete loom and swapping it in. Any leads on a loom and a fuse box would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all again.

Comment

Originally posted by Satx750 View Post
                      Thank you all for your input. I started to inspect the loom. Looks like the previous owner spliced in some wires, all red colored, and removed the fuse box. Thinking about finding a complete loom and swapping it in. Any leads on a loom and a fuse box would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all again.
                      try an ad in the wanted section on this site and have a search on ebay, should be easy enough to find i would think
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                      X